The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2020 3:58 pm  #1

Tell Me About Carrion Lands

Has anyone played this?  It seems to have slipped past my radar.  What do you think?  Good?  Bad?  Ugly?

Where's my axe?

2/20/2020 10:31 am  #2

Re: Tell Me About Carrion Lands

I purchased the Ashcan Ed because I like to see how other people might adapt BoL Hack. FWIW I have not actually run a game using Carrion Lands but I have given it a good read through.

The main aspects of the game that are significantly different/original are the character creation and resource rules. For character creation they have come up with a life-path system akin to Traveller (yes, your character can die during creation) which I feel is unnecessary for this kind of game. The beauty of BoL Hack is how it utilised the BoL system for character creation and blended it with d20 - you don't need to have a life-path system shoe-horned on to the game when you can already use the careers you choose to write a backstory for your character.

Also, my one dislike of BoL Hack is how Priests and Magicians have their own classes. I Personally feel these should just be extensions of the chosen careers and that BoL Hack only really needs one character class (The Hero) - this is the direction I am taking for the Conan BoL Hack I am working on.

The one aspect of Carrion Lands I think is worth looking at closer is the use of Resources. I won't go too much in to this here as it might impinge on copyright but, suffice to say, it uses dice denominations to represent levels of such things as food, water, money etc. When Resources are challenged they can degrade to a lower die type which makes them more susceptible to decreasing when challenged further. Resource management now becomes an important aspect of the game which, considering the Carrion Lands setting is apocalyptic in style, seems to make sense.

Overall I like what I see and I think this will be worth watching as Gallant Knight Games develop it further.

Last edited by The GIT! (2/20/2020 10:32 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

2/20/2020 1:53 pm  #3

Thanks for the rundown. 

I do like the life-path character creation system for Classic Traveller.  But you have a point when it comes to BoLBoL careers always sparks ideas for me when it comes to backgrounds.

The resource system sounds like what I've heard of the way The Black Hack handles such things.  I haven't read The Black Hack myself so I don't know for sure.

Last edited by Narmer (2/20/2020 1:53 pm)

Where's my axe?

2/24/2020 6:49 am  #4

Haven't read TBH yet but I will give it a look-see tonight.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

4/24/2020 8:07 am  #5

I snagged this in pdf, but haven't had a chance to look at it (as I got sidetracked by Paleomythic). Need to give that a read through

11/25/2020 1:47 pm  #6

urbwar wrote:

I snagged this in pdf, but haven't had a chance to look at it (as I got sidetracked by Paleomythic). Need to give that a read through

Did you ever get the opportunity to look this over?

Where's my axe?

Board footera