The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/06/2014 11:37 am  #11

Re: Crimson Blades Sword & Sorcery RPG

So I've had a chance to read through character creation and the basic mechanics of the game. I can't say that I'm overly familiar with most "Old School" games, but I have a vague notion of what to normally expect. That said, I have to say that I'm very pleasently surprised. I was expecting another OSR clone. Instead, you've come up with quite a novel rules set. I particularly like the way a character rolls multiple hit dice in combat. You mention that all the successful hits are taken into consideration, each one representing either a separate strike, or a single powerful blow. I like that. 

I suspect it's probably easier to just assume that they each represent an individual hit. That allows for some cinematic combat scenes where a character can battle multiple foes at once, each hit being assigned to a separate opponent, or multiple blows being directed at the same enemy.

I'll be reading up on sorcery next. More thoughts to come.

5/06/2014 5:08 pm  #12

Nice job. In addition to the hit dice being used for attack dice, I also really like the simple yet interesting skill system for thieves and mountebanks.

5/09/2014 5:47 pm  #13

Just noticed this. Based on the draft, the game looks like it'll be really good.

By the way, it looks like an over-zealous Find+Replace has changed 'Wizards of the Coast' to 'Sorcerers of the Coast' in the text of the OGL.

5/09/2014 10:29 pm  #14

Al Livingstone wrote:

Just noticed this. Based on the draft, the game looks like it'll be really good.

By the way, it looks like an over-zealous Find+Replace has changed 'Wizards of the Coast' to 'Sorcerers of the Coast' in the text of the OGL.

Good spot - I'd better get onto that!

5/10/2014 10:57 am  #15

Here's the latest:
CRIMSON BLADES

5/10/2014 11:03 am  #16

You are incredibly prolific as an author. Crison Blades, Medieval Mysteries, BoL...
I admire it. Cred. Preesh.

Last edited by Mruf (5/10/2014 11:04 am)

Bow to Satan!!!

5/13/2014 8:21 am  #17

Here is a map I knocked up in MS.Paint:

5/13/2014 12:05 pm  #18

I don't know what the Charnel Plain is, but I like the sound of sending my players there
I really like how there's a huge chanel of water between the main continent and the many large islands off its coast. That lends itself to excellent opportunities for piracy and naval warfare.

5/13/2014 12:23 pm  #19

That's a pretty good looking map Simon. I must admit I've enjoyed reading through Crimson Blades and I'm looking forward to the next update; there are some pretty nice ideas in the book which, while staying true to OSR, also gets rid of some of the weaker points. BTW - any chance of a larger version of the map for download?

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

5/13/2014 1:05 pm  #20

The GIT! wrote:

That's a pretty good looking map Simon. I must admit I've enjoyed reading through Crimson Blades and I'm looking forward to the next update; there are some pretty nice ideas in the book which, while staying true to OSR, also gets rid of some of the weaker points. BTW - any chance of a larger version of the map for download?

I'm not really sure what I was doing, so I'm not sure I can make a bigger one without pixelating it. I'll give it a go. I'm no artist - it's the first time I ever used MS.Paint, even!

Last edited by Simon W (5/13/2014 1:14 pm)

Board footera