The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/26/2014 9:19 am  #161

Re: Crimson Blades Sword & Sorcery RPG

Simon W wrote:

The GIT! wrote:

I definitely like the powerful blow and think it is an excellent option; I just think some modifiers should be included as I mentioned in earlier posts.

Simon - I take it the Powerful Blow is intended to replace the rule of gaining a +1 to hit mod for each HD traded.

To be honest, "powerful blow" is no different to the rule as already existed under the old rules, in that under the old rules "to hit" rolls, where you have more than 1HD were defined as being either several stabs, slashes and so on or one single, more powerful attack. It's just thatthey need to be a little more clearly spelled out now because of the different way armour works.

With regard to trading 1HD for a +1 to your "to hit" roll; the rule was there because some creatures could have AC over 6 - now AC is split out between DC and DR it's possible that the DC may max out at 6 so there's less need for the rule.

Lets see - DC starts at 3 and you can get +2 for 18 DEX and you can pick up a shield for +1 so 6 would be the max starting out. Demons of Protection add to DR now (but there's no reason they should't add to DC either as well or instead of) - if they add to DC there's still a need for the rule. Even more so if I give character classes small improvements to DC as they reach certain levels (wayfarers especially). 

I think you finally managed to confuse me 
I thought the intention was to replace the +1/HD mod with the Powerful Blow option. Even with a DC greater than 6 the new Powerful Blow works; it's just less predictable than the +1 mod in the original rules.

Last edited by The GIT! (8/26/2014 9:20 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

8/26/2014 10:19 am  #162

The GIT! wrote:

Simon W wrote:

The GIT! wrote:

I definitely like the powerful blow and think it is an excellent option; I just think some modifiers should be included as I mentioned in earlier posts.

Simon - I take it the Powerful Blow is intended to replace the rule of gaining a +1 to hit mod for each HD traded.

To be honest, "powerful blow" is no different to the rule as already existed under the old rules, in that under the old rules "to hit" rolls, where you have more than 1HD were defined as being either several stabs, slashes and so on or one single, more powerful attack. It's just thatthey need to be a little more clearly spelled out now because of the different way armour works.

With regard to trading 1HD for a +1 to your "to hit" roll; the rule was there because some creatures could have AC over 6 - now AC is split out between DC and DR it's possible that the DC may max out at 6 so there's less need for the rule.

Lets see - DC starts at 3 and you can get +2 for 18 DEX and you can pick up a shield for +1 so 6 would be the max starting out. Demons of Protection add to DR now (but there's no reason they should't add to DC either as well or instead of) - if they add to DC there's still a need for the rule. Even more so if I give character classes small improvements to DC as they reach certain levels (wayfarers especially). 

I think you finally managed to confuse me 
I thought the intention was to replace the +1/HD mod with the Powerful Blow option. Even with a DC greater than 6 the new Powerful Blow works; it's just less predictable than the +1 mod in the original rules.

With a DC higher than 6 you can't even hit your opponent - that's the problem if you don't allow trading HD for +1

8/26/2014 11:29 am  #163

You know, I think I completely misinterpreted the Powerful Blow
I was thinking that the to-hit dice were being added together (which is why I was suggesting negative modifiers to reflect the more predictable nature of the blow). That'll teach me to read this stuff when I should be working 

Last edited by The GIT! (8/26/2014 11:30 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

8/26/2014 11:48 am  #164

The GIT! wrote:

I was thinking that the to-hit dice were being added together (which is why I was suggesting negative modifiers to reflect the more predictable nature of the blow). That'll teach me to read this stuff when I should be working 

Ha! I wondered why you weren't getting it.

8/26/2014 12:26 pm  #165

Simon W wrote:

The GIT! wrote:

Ha! I wondered why you weren't getting it.

8/27/2014 9:53 am  #166

The updated Crimson Lands map:

Last edited by Simon W (8/28/2014 6:49 am)

8/27/2014 10:28 am  #167

That is a sweet looking map

8/27/2014 11:17 am  #168

I have one question to Simon: Why are ya creating new sword&sorcery setting? With new engine certainly but that's still s&s style. Did you not think about fantasy one?

Bow to Satan!!!

8/27/2014 11:23 am  #169

Mruf wrote:

I have one question to Simon: Why are ya creating new sword&sorcery setting? With new engine certainly but that's still s&s style. Did you not think about fantasy one?

Why stick with just one thing? Creators need to create. This is totally different from BoL. BoL is Thongor, Conan, etc, and Crimson Blades is more like Elric. It's like apples and oranges. Both are fruit, but have different flavors.

8/27/2014 11:28 am  #170

Creators need to create

I do not impeach that, for Seth's sake!

This is totally different from BoL. BoL is Thongor, Conan, etc, and Crimson Blades is more like Elric. It's like apples and oranges. Both are fruit, but have different flavors.

Yes, but similarity is bigger than to any fantasy Tolkien-like setting, so I asked for that. Creative power could be always channeled into goblins, orcs etc...

It's like apples and oranges. Both are fruit

I like carrots, too ;)

Last edited by Mruf (8/27/2014 11:31 am)

Bow to Satan!!!

Board footera