The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/26/2014 5:13 am  #81

Re: Barbarians of the Void

nerosfiddle - he is our hero!

I ran some more space combats last night.  This led me to some more thoughts.
Swapping Shields for armor works, Armor as boon works. Shields being reduced by 1 each time damage gets through works. 
I suggest once shields are gone, then apply 1 point always to hull first.

One thing that has me puzzled is which Starship attributes can go below 0 and which can’t.  I’m tempted to just say, if brought to zero that system is no longer functional till repaired by the engineer/mechanic (with time) and if below zero it will require replacement. And Hull damage will always require extensive repairs.

Reserve power - the rules don’t explicitly state if you declare their use before rolls or not but we found it most fun to just use them when needed after the roll. That way they feel much more useful and become very valuable. This was extremely satisfying. They are sort of like, hero points for the starship.

Last edited by jasales (8/26/2014 5:23 am)

8/26/2014 7:43 am  #82

Simple Scanning check example
Using the graded success table below

Snake-eyes and if would have failed anyway - "no, and", Calamity
7 or less, "no"
8 "no, but"
9 "yes, but"
10 or more "yes"
Boxcars and if would have succeeded anyway - "yes, and", Mighty Success

The GM has determined there is an enemy ship at sensor range. Note: the enemy vessel has chosen to use their ECM to penalize incoming scans.
No And, Calamity – enemy gets within weapons range, and fires!
No – nothing on scans
No, But – It looks like there is some kind of anomaly out there but you are not sure what or where.
Yes, But – you detect a vessel but sensors can’t make out its type
Yes – You detect a Shleggon destroyer.
Yes And, Mighty Success – it is the Deathmark! A known pirate vessel! There is a bounty for it’s destruction.

Last edited by jasales (8/26/2014 7:48 am)

8/26/2014 7:50 am  #83

Something I'm considering for my BoV games

Starshps of size 0-1 or 2 are piloted with Agility+Career+Thrusters - Size.

This lets a player or two be fighter/shuttle pilots while leaving the helmsman of their main ship to his/her own niche.

Sorry, I'm posting so much, this game just has me jazzed.

Another thought: vehicles could be done just like starships, just on a lesser scale and with some attribute changes.

Last edited by jasales (8/26/2014 8:09 am)

8/26/2014 8:19 am  #84

Just some brainstorming here:

Hover bike
Size 0             Frame 0
Speed 3
Sensors 1
Weapons 1

Hover Car
Size 1             Frame 5
Speed 2
Sensors 1
Weapons 0

Hover Truck (cargo)
Size 3             Frame 13
Speed 2
Sensors 1
Weapons 0
Boons: Cargo

Explorer Truck
Size 2             Frame 12
Speed 1
Sensors 3
Weapons 1
Boons: Armored, Sealed, Amphibious, Off Road

Hover Tank
Size 3             Frame 18
Speed 4
Sensors 4
Weapons 2
Boons: Armored, Sealed, Amphibious, Off Road, Mil grade frame

8/26/2014 9:37 am  #85

Damn jasales, you're on a roll. I'm really glad to see you using the And/But option as well.

I was trying to figure out the significance of "Starshps of size 0-1 or 2 are piloted with Agility+Career+Thrusters-Size" until I remembered the regular rules use Mind instead of Agility. I like this idea - as you say, it helps deferentiate between a Fighter Pilot and a Starship Helmsman.

Love the vehicle stats. Be careful, or you might have to create a BoV Companion similar to the Classic Traveller Striker rules 

Last edited by The GIT! (8/26/2014 9:37 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

8/26/2014 10:07 am  #86

thanks The GIT!

My players like vehicle chases, with blasters so I think those stats above will get me what I need. Maybe I'll add shields or something but that should work as is.

Big Mech
Size 5              Frame 25
Speed 2
Sensors 4
Weapons 4
Boons: Armored, Sealed, Amphibious, Off Road, Mil grade frame, Escape pod, Point defenses, Missiles

8/26/2014 11:30 am  #87

Any particular method for designing the vehicles?

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

8/26/2014 3:13 pm  #88

I gave it the old Victor Wong eyeball! With all due respect to that good man.

I started just like I said, brainstorming right here on the forum. I began with the smallest, the rocket bike, swoop bike, hover bike etc then just went down the list putting in what I thought would compare. 

Vehicles in my games only get used in chases then discarded. I don't think I'd ever have the need for more detail than that above nor the need for construction rules. Starships, yes, because my players will want to shop, compare, upgrade etc.

Speaking of upgrades etc. Sci Fi screams gadgets. My players love equipment. So here is something I've put together to help me GM possible store supplies. This is all very very draft. I know it isn't the BoL way but this is what my players like.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6726829/BolWTWeaps.pdf  link updated 090714

And thanks go to ChaoticGM/Chaosmiester for some of the equipment which I adapted from his excellent FREE suplement, Savage Space.

The idea here is that players and the GM make up brands and model names of the various weapons and armor if so desired.

Example: Ahanakeen Ripper - Auto Needler, D6+1, cost 400 or -4 difficulty to aquire via a die roll if that is the route you like.

Last edited by jasales (9/07/2014 5:54 am)

8/27/2014 5:22 am  #89

Nice job on the equipment catalogue jasales.

8/27/2014 6:14 am  #90

jasales wrote:

On page 39 resistance checks are mentioned. What did you have in mind for those?

This is a good question. I'm thinking that nerosfiddle may have planned for some kind of Opposed Roll to take place but, considering the target Mind already acts as a negative modifier, I could be way off base here.

Board footera