The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/20/2014 2:45 am  #151

Re: Barbarians of the Void

Interesting discussion. After reviewing what you all have said and thinking a bit more about my setting I decided a TL would not really add much to the game but only complicate the game. I implemented a linear progression fro weapons based on the fork Jim did on his equipment.

Just finished rewriting the Androids to be more in line with what I imagine them to be, thoughts? Some quick Terms: CC is Cybernetic Capacity based on Strength and Mind (Brawn and Intellect in my conversion), donates the maximum number of implants you can have. ME is Mental Energy, my variant of PsiPower that is used for Psi and for activating cyberware.

Synthetic

You are a Synthetic, or short Synth, an artificial being created to fill some specific role and utilize programs with the skill sets necessary to accomplish your designated tasks (careers). Choose one of your careers. You gain +1 level and its maximum is now 6, not 5.

By default Synth are manufactured with plastic looking skin in various colours and without artificial hair. Many have a code on their body designating their owner and function. You lose 1 level of Presence and its maximum is now 4 not 5.

All Synthetics start the game with pre-installed Strengthened Skin and Computer Interface cyberware. These do not count against their CC limit. Because Synthetics are no human beings they do not have access to PSI. They still use  ME to activate Cyberware and gain a +2 to their ME score for that purpose.

When damaged they leak a milky white substance. Because Synthetics are extremely complex mechanical constructs and not living beings, normal healing rules do not apply. You do not heal automatically, nor can you be healed by a medic. You require repairs to be conducted by someone with an appropriate career (engineer/mechanic) and access to specialized equipment and parts. They can make a Coordination + Career check and repair 1 Lifeblood per career rank once per day. This can be repeated every 24 hours.

Synthetics do not have an Artificial Intelligence; instead they possess what is called Simulated Intelligence. You need to follow certain directions and limits in your programming that are impossible for you to bypass. Often there are also hidden instructions that are activated when certain conditions are met. Once triggered, the Synthetic will pursue these instructions relentlessly, even overwriting his primary restrictions.
Work with the GM to determine the details of these. Primary restrictions might be that you cannot harm a human being, or that you will always repair the ship first. They should relate to your primary programming (careers)
Secret Instructions can override these and be pretty much anything, from forcing a ship to investigate a specific location or prohibiting a crew from going to a certain place to even killing a certain target.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Chaosmeister (10/20/2014 2:45 am)

Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at!
http://www.chaotic-gm.com

10/20/2014 7:53 am  #152

I take it you have replaced Strength, Agility, Mind, Appeal with Brawn, Coordination, Intellect, Presence.

I would Remove ME - Synthetics should be allowed to function without having to try and activate Cyberware with a die  roll. With regards to energy just say that a Syntehtic's power supply needs replenishing much like a human needs to sleep. A synthetic is still advantageous this way as it still doesn't necessarily require perishable energy supplies (food) over long distances - hence, why David in Prometheus could continue to function while the human crew were kept in stasis. On the down side they need a power supply or they will begin to function with reduced Attributes (something I would also do to fatigued humans).

CC - is this a restriction on the number of Boons a character can have or just Cyberware? If Cyberware are you coming up with a more complete list? If Boons then it feels that it could be unfairly restrictive for a longer running campaign.

I Like the idea of lowered Presence and increased Career.

I still feel that repairs should be performed using Mind + Career rather than Coordination + Career.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

10/20/2014 12:12 pm  #153

Hello GIT, thank you for your comments, here some more information:

Some cyberware replicates Boons (Like Keen Eyes or similar), where you can only take the Boons at character creation and not later. I call these background boons. You can Purchase Cyberware at any time, but CC limits how many pieces you can install before you experience drawbacks. Cyberware is normal equipment now, not boons.  

ME is not actually a roll,  it is alternate Arcane Power. Activating any piece of Cyberware ro receive an effect (like night vision for example) is automatic, but you have to pay for it from your ME pool. I did it so that if you are a PSI user and have cyberware you must decide what to do. And even a normal person
can´t just become superhuman without paying something. I will also make that pool be attackable by Psionics and some Hazards. I think ultimately I use ME to simulate Power points as well as Fatigue.

It adds a bit of managing to everyone but I believe it will add another layer of interesting decisionmaking.

I went with Career and Presence because I believe a Snyth should be exceptionally good at the single main thing it does. Raising attributes seems to make them better at a lot of different things that have nothing to do with their primary function. And that a Synth would not be as "Personable" as a human being just makes sense to me.

I think that Mind+Career would represent the knowledge on how stuff works and how to do it, but Coordination+Career the actual doing. For example a doctor would also diagnose with mind but operate with coordination. But I guess that is a case of personal preference.

For further detail here are the descriptions of ME and CC, raw and as of yet unedited:

Mental Energy
All characters have Mental Energy (ME). Starting ME is equal to Brawn + Intellect + PsiCorps/Mutant career. This is used to power Psionic abilities as described in the PSI Chapter as well as Cyberware.ME can also be attacked by PSI powers or hazards of space travel. Whenever ME goes negative the character incurs a modifier to all his rolls equivalent to the negative ME score. Example: at -3 ME all actions suffer a -3 modifier.At -10 a character falls unconscious, but does not die. You recover ME at a rate of 1 per hour of rest. Sleeping, reading a book, watching a movie, eating a good dinner etc. all help regain ME

Cybernetic Capacity
This represents the readiness of your body to accept cyberware as well as the mental capacity to take control of them.Your starting Cybernetic Capacity (CC) is calculated by adding Brawn+Intellect. CC does not change when either of these attributes are increased after character creation. It can only be increased with a boon. The CC value is the number of cybernetic implants you can receive without any negative impact. For any piece of cyberware you are installing above your CC you need to take an additional Flaw, as it takes it´s toll on your mental and bodily health.

Last edited by Chaosmeister (10/20/2014 2:04 pm)

Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at!
http://www.chaotic-gm.com

10/21/2014 10:44 pm  #154

Updated Map.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106432046/Bleeding%20Edge.png

I still need to label the various nebulae and add a bunch of systems that are off the common jump routes.

10/30/2014 4:57 am  #155

That is a huge map!  Hexographer right? Nice job.

10/30/2014 9:57 am  #156

Thanks jasales.
I've since labelled the nebulae and am adding a few more planetary systems that are off the main trade routes. Once that's done I'm going to revisit the main BotV document and write up a wealth mechanic that will be heavily inspired by the one in Honor & Intrigue, and I'll try to work up a rudimentary trade system to allow for smuggling and legitimate trade. I'd also like to expand the list of cyberware, but that'll be somewhere down the line.

I'm still debating whether it's better to have cyberware treated as boons or if I should convert them to gear. The former feels more in line with BoL's philosophy of "simpler is better", but I know there are people who prefer cyberware to be treated as gear. 

11/01/2014 6:40 pm  #157

Updated map, nebulae are now all labelled, a few more planetary systems added.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106432046/Bleeding%20Edge.png

11/02/2014 4:57 am  #158

Ok, so I've been going over the full thread and it occurs to me that during my brief absence I missed quite a lot of great suggestions (just one example of which would be to include a page with a full list of the careers). So I've decided to go back to the original document and try to incorporate many of them. It may take me a while, but I'm hoping to have it completed in the next week or so.

11/02/2014 2:19 pm  #159

Whoo hoo!

11/04/2014 12:15 pm  #160

So I've added a list of the careers as Grimwulf suggested, I've added page numbers to the document and I've started writing the wealth and trade sections.

I was able to add bookmarks in the Word document, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get them in the PDF. When I save the document as a PDF, the bookmarks are nowhere to be found. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I continue to fight with it. Hopefully I'll figure it out.

Board footera