The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/27/2014 7:23 am  #91

Re: Barbarians of the Void

Thanks for the praise The GIT!  I'm sure many will find it unnecessary for their games but if usable for some, I'll gladly share.

Here is a little trick I started doing for space combat.

http://www.epicwords.com/attachments/15563

The dice represent the rable ship location and current Hull damage. One could easily use other sized dize for higher hull ratings.

8/27/2014 9:16 am  #92

jasales wrote:

Thanks for the praise The GIT!  I'm sure many will find it unnecessary for their games but if usable for some, I'll gladly share.

Here is a little trick I started doing for space combat.

http://www.epicwords.com/attachments/15563

The dice represent the rable ship location and current Hull damage. One could easily use other sized dize for higher hull ratings.

Nice. I haven't actually had a chance to run BoV yet (presently running two other very complicated campaigns for two different game groups) but I'm giving serious thought to running some Traveller style BoV very soon. With that in mind I'm hoping to print and laminate this on A3 https://app.box.com/s/4zo4dsjq72jrfnc6pktt

I was then thinking of creating some tokens to do the job of the dice in your photo - hopefully with an A3 size sheet I can still use lots of ship miniatures to help with the atmosphere.

BTW - BoV and this thread made me hunt out all my old Classic Traveller books (big trip down memory lane) and I'm really stoked with this setting. I'll probably look to get the BoV document printed in a digest size book to match the old Traveller books as well (and maybe even come up with a cool black Traveller style cover).

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

8/27/2014 9:27 am  #93

I can't wait for the next write-up. Obviously. I never played traveller. I've been gaming since 1978 and sadly missed the game. I did pick up The Traveller Book a few years ago to see what it was about. Good stuff in it's day. I could see using all kinds of Traveller source material with BoV.

8/27/2014 11:35 am  #94

Yeah, I really think there's a good way to use a lot of Traveller source material for BoV. Heck, nerosfiddle helped us with his FTL jump system emulating the Traveller jump tech. The fact that Traveller and BoL both use 2d6 as the basic dice roll also helps. That said, I may leverage a lot of the Star Wars ship designs for my game because I have all the old Star Wars Starship Battles miniatures.

BTW - I saw this (http://boardgamegeek.com/image/495589/star-wars-miniatures-starship-battles?size=medium) and thought it might be an attractive alternative to your use of dice to represent rabble starships.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

8/28/2014 11:09 am  #95

The only downside for me to those cool chits would be storing them and swapping them. With the dice, I can just change what side is facing. Doesn't look as nice but...

In the the setting I'm working on flying drones are commonplace. Here is an example of some. I suppose you could just take off the flying boon and use them as droids/robots too. The boon Spotter means they can be used for indirect fire weapons.

http://www.epicwords.com/attachments/15573

8/28/2014 11:19 am  #96

I coulda swore I saw something like this is BotV, I did a search but I might be thinking of another game system.

New Starship Boon
Self Repair Droids: The starship has a number of repair robots that can assist in Damage Control rolls providing a boon die.

Last edited by jasales (8/28/2014 11:20 am)

8/30/2014 5:14 pm  #97

This looks nice. I will give it a closer look.

9/01/2014 4:04 pm  #98

Using BotV and Barbarians of the Aftermath, as well as the working copy from the KS, as the basis for a brand new solo campaign. It is working well so far. Really like what you did with BotV.

Another great resource for planet, alien, and faction building is Stars Without Number, an OSR Sci Fi rpg. I used it to generate the homeworld for the character, and came up with some great stuff I would not have thought of myself. AND it all dovetailed very nicely with BotV's styles.

What other plans, if any, do you have for Barbarians of the Void?

9/01/2014 6:34 pm  #99

Good call on Stars Without Number Grimwulf. There is a free pdf of the rules available at DriveThru and I have to admit there is some useful source material in the book. Personally I think I'll be using a fair bit of Traveller material to work alongside BotV, but that's just a preference on my part because I've loved Traveller ever since I started roleplaying way back before memory 
On another note (again, because of my Traveller bias) would it be possible to have Noble added as a Career option in the rules? Perhaps pair it up with Dilettante? I know it's easy to just houserule the Noble/Dilettante career in a game, but it would be nice to see it in the rules with a nice image like the rest of the careers 

Last edited by The GIT! (9/02/2014 9:45 pm)

9/03/2014 6:37 am  #100

hah! I've used the free version of Stars Without Number for system and adventure idea generation also. 

Ran two sessions of BotV this weekend.  AMAZING!  I'll publish a play report soon. Should I start a thread labeled Barbarians of the Void Play Reports?

Last edited by jasales (9/03/2014 6:39 am)

Board footera