The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2020 3:08 pm  #111


Re: Greetings, fellow Lemurian adventurers!

The GIT! wrote:

Sigulf wrote:

One thing that we have done, is we limit the heroes to a maximum of 10 Advancement Points.  After that - they are topped out, they still adventure, but no longer gain APs.

Do you mind me asking why you do this? Is it something you do in all BoL games or just those with a single player?
 

I've done it during a BoL Hyborian Age campaign that I ran for my wife and two friends too.  Reason - avoids Attribute bloat, makes the game a bit more "edgier".  When I ran a d20 Mongoose Conan game, I stated that the max level would be 10th.  We never got there, finishing the campaign at 7th level.  All high end NPC (11-20 lvl) where reduced to 10th Level NPCs.  I also started the PCs at 3rd Level - that way they could do hero type stuffs.  I'm not a fan of running babes to grandpa type adventures.  (I am also stingy in handing out XPs in these types of setting)

I have never been a fan of D&D high level games and preferred games/adventures between 3-8 levels.  (I've always wanted to try out the E6 D&D adaptation.)

I could have gone with BoL rules using 2d10 and TN 13, but I like using d6s - so instead I limit the Heroes advancement levels.


 

 

4/21/2020 3:13 pm  #112


Re: Greetings, fellow Lemurian adventurers!

The GIT! wrote:

On a different note, because of COVID-19, my two gaming groups have joined together and we now play on Roll20 every week.

Presently we have been playing Carbon 2185 (not a bad game but not a fan of 5th Ed D&D) and Savage Worlds Fantasy - tough to play on Roll20 because of all the crunch such as Adventure Deck, Initiative Deck, Bennies, Exploding Dice etcetc.

I'm planning on running some of my Thieves' World game (using Crimson Blades) and also some BoL. Both should be really simple to use in a VTT environment and we can then concentrate on the real priority - gaming https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons2/big-grin.png

Oh man, that sounds like fun. I'd love to play a Crimson Blades game one of these days.

 

4/21/2020 3:22 pm  #113


Re: Greetings, fellow Lemurian adventurers!

The GIT! wrote:

 I'm planning on running some of my Thieves' World game (using Crimson Blades) and also some BoL. Both should be really simple to use in a VTT environment and we can then concentrate on the real priority - gaming https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons2/big-grin.png

A Thieves World campaign would be AWSOME!  I love the setting, read all the books and many of the side novels.  I have the old Thieves World Chaosium Box Set and have the Green Ronin setting books too.

Never played Crimson Blades so I can't comment on that system, but I love the city of Sanctuary.  https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons2/cool.png


I have the Sanctuary board game and my wife and I have been playing that a few times over the last couple of weeks.  She has won all 3 games https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons2/crying.png

 

4/21/2020 4:45 pm  #114


Re: Greetings, fellow Lemurian adventurers!

Sigulf wrote:

The GIT! wrote:

Sigulf wrote:

One thing that we have done, is we limit the heroes to a maximum of 10 Advancement Points.  After that - they are topped out, they still adventure, but no longer gain APs.

Do you mind me asking why you do this? Is it something you do in all BoL games or just those with a single player?
 

I've done it during a BoL Hyborian Age campaign that I ran for my wife and two friends too.  Reason - avoids Attribute bloat, makes the game a bit more "edgier".  When I ran a d20 Mongoose Conan game, I stated that the max level would be 10th.  We never got there, finishing the campaign at 7th level.  All high end NPC (11-20 lvl) where reduced to 10th Level NPCs.  I also started the PCs at 3rd Level - that way they could do hero type stuffs.  I'm not a fan of running babes to grandpa type adventures.  (I am also stingy in handing out XPs in these types of setting)

I have never been a fan of D&D high level games and preferred games/adventures between 3-8 levels.  (I've always wanted to try out the E6 D&D adaptation.)

I could have gone with BoL rules using 2d10 and TN 13, but I like using d6s - so instead I limit the Heroes advancement levels.


 

Very interesting post. Like you, my old gaming group back in the UK rarely had characters get above 12th lvl. Also, here in Canada, when my group was playing d20 3.5 we found the game pretty much broke after 10th lvl.

I noticed that Simon, when writing Crimson Blade, took it up to 10th lvl, so it seems he thinks similarly to us.

BTW - I've been toying with the idea of using 2d10 for d20 games to see how the bell curve impacts the rolls; I prefer to stick with 2d6 when playing BoL.


Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.
 

4/21/2020 4:50 pm  #115


Re: Greetings, fellow Lemurian adventurers!

Sigulf wrote:

The GIT! wrote:

 I'm planning on running some of my Thieves' World game (using Crimson Blades) and also some BoL. Both should be really simple to use in a VTT environment and we can then concentrate on the real priority - gaming https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons2/big-grin.png

A Thieves World campaign would be AWSOME!  I love the setting, read all the books and many of the side novels.  I have the old Thieves World Chaosium Box Set and have the Green Ronin setting books too.

Never played Crimson Blades so I can't comment on that system, but I love the city of Sanctuary.  https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons2/cool.png


I have the Sanctuary board game and my wife and I have been playing that a few times over the last couple of weeks.  She has won all 3 games https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons2/crying.png

I'm like you and have all things relating to Thieves' World (including the board game). When playing Crimson Blades I use the Chaosium box set and we've had a lot of fun with it. Sanctuary fits in remarkably well to the Crimson Lands setting; I added it as a location on the world map and from there I've basically used wings, prayers and hand-wavium with some very entertaining results
 


Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.
 

4/21/2020 4:52 pm  #116


Re: Greetings, fellow Lemurian adventurers!

roryb wrote:

Oh man, that sounds like fun. I'd love to play a Crimson Blades game one of these days.

Give it a try; you won't be disappointed. I use the d20 version for my group but I also have the original d6 version.

Another game to try is the BoL Hack - Simon did a pretty good job with that as well.
 


Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.
 

Board footera