The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2020 10:21 am  #101

Re: Greetings, fellow Lemurian adventurers!

Thanks for the add. Been on and off since AD&D. Then a pile of wargaming. Lately getting back into Rpgs, and my favorite that Ive never played yet BOL.
Since I'm at home for a while just going to be me and the wife so I may be asking for a little help to run a solo player game, or a gmless game.
thanks Jason

4/15/2020 10:44 am  #102

Jpeel wrote:

Thanks for the add. Been on and off since AD&D. Then a pile of wargaming. Lately getting back into Rpgs, and my favorite that Ive never played yet BOL.
Since I'm at home for a while just going to be me and the wife so I may be asking for a little help to run a solo player game, or a gmless game.
thanks Jason

Welcome! Personally, I think BoL is well-suites for one on one games, and even GM-less given the simplicity of the rules. Ask away! We can give you a hand.

4/15/2020 11:35 am  #103

Welcome to the forum Jpeel,
My wife and I have done a lot of solo RPGing, our go to system is BoL.  So if I can be of help I will try.
Its a great system!

4/15/2020 1:43 pm  #104

Thanks all.
Actually I was going to contact Sigulf, and ask if he was playing gmless and if he had any tips or ideas how to.
I've downloaded a ton of solo engines, mythic, solo adventurers toolbox, oracles from Ironsworn,  planning to use them to start playing in a few days.
When we do, I'll post how it all goes ..

4/15/2020 2:12 pm  #105

We’d love to hear! I, for one, am hungry for Lemurian exploits.

4/15/2020 3:26 pm  #106

Jpeel wrote:

Thanks all.
Actually I was going to contact Sigulf, and ask if he was playing gmless and if he had any tips or ideas how to.

What works for me and my wife is that she makes a character and I make another character.  I am also the GM, I have her character make the major decisions, though sometimes my character will advise...  I set up and convert the adventures for two PCs.

With Sword and Sorcery adventures, two characters really work well... think Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.  Another pair of adventurers that have given me a lot of inspiration on how two individuals work together - Gotrek and Felix from the Warhammer adventures.  BoL really works well for this because 2 heroes can know and be really good at a lot of Professions.  You can have a thief that is a really good fighter and excels in urban adventures and a barbarian that excels in outdoorsman skills and maybe is a skilled corsair or pirate too.  Lots of great combinations... that allow them to do a variety of things.  I also try to keep Task Rolls lower (8,9,10, or 11) - I want the PCs to succeed, very rarely do any of the Task Rolls go over 13.  (When converting from a d20 game, a DC 15 check is equal to a 9 task roll, a DC 20 =10, DC 25 = 11, DC 30 = 13 and so forth... this has worked pretty good in my conversions)

One thing that we have done, is we limit the heroes to a maximum of 10 Advancement Points.  After that - they are topped out, they still adventure, but no longer gain APs.  I have done it two ways, one way is to give out 1 AP after every 2-3 gaming sessions.  The other way - after 10-12 sessions, the Hero becomes a Legendary Hero - gaining 5 AP to spend on advancement.  After another 10-12 sessions the become a Mythical Hero - gaining another 5 AP to spend on advancement.  Either way 10 Advancement Points is the max. 

Currently my wife's Nomad/Thief character is stated out like this:
Nissa Al-Nazari, Female from Shem, Mythical Hero
Strength 2     Agility 3      Mind 1         Appeal 1
Init  1             Melee 2      Range 1      Defense 2
Nomad 2        Thief 2        Merc 0        Assassin 1

Boon:  Born in the Saddle, & Sword & Dagger (adept in fighting with a sword & dagger combo, you are more deadly with the left-handed dagger or main-gauche.  You do d6 damage instead of d6L damage with the LH dagger)

Flaw:  Landlubber

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

We just watched the 1982 movie The Sword and The Sorcerer on you tube - great movie to get one ready to play BoL!

4/15/2020 5:56 pm  #107

Thanks👍
Hopefully stat up some characters tomorrow and a game after I reread the rules.
I'll post the results.🤞

4/16/2020 4:36 am  #108

Sigulf wrote:
"What works for me and my wife is that she makes a character and I make another character.  I am also the GM, I have her character make the major decisions, though sometimes my character will advise...  I set up and convert the adventures for two PCs.

With Sword and Sorcery adventures, two characters really work well... think Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.  Another pair of adventurers that have given me a lot of inspiration on how two individuals work together - Gotrek and Felix from the Warhammer adventures.  BoL really works well for this because 2 heroes can know and be really good at a lot of Professions.  You can have a thief that is a really good fighter and excels in urban adventures and a barbarian that excels in outdoorsman skills and maybe is a skilled corsair or pirate too.  Lots of great combinations... that allow them to do a variety of things."

Repeated for truth! That's the way to do 1GM - 1Player games in BoL.

My real name is Steve Hall

4/21/2020 10:29 am  #109

Sigulf wrote:

One thing that we have done, is we limit the heroes to a maximum of 10 Advancement Points.  After that - they are topped out, they still adventure, but no longer gain APs.

Do you mind me asking why you do this? Is it something you do in all BoL games or just those with a single player?

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

4/21/2020 10:33 am  #110

On a different note, because of COVID-19, my two gaming groups have joined together and we now play on Roll20 every week.

Presently we have been playing Carbon 2185 (not a bad game but not a fan of 5th Ed D&D) and Savage Worlds Fantasy - tough to play on Roll20 because of all the crunch such as Adventure Deck, Initiative Deck, Bennies, Exploding Dice etcetc.

I'm planning on running some of my Thieves' World game (using Crimson Blades) and also some BoL. Both should be really simple to use in a VTT environment and we can then concentrate on the real priority - gaming 

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

Board footera