The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2014 7:13 am  #1

[Barbarians of Xoth] Priests

Here is the big secret: True deities do not exist. Most of the “gods” are simply monstrous or alien creatures of flesh and blood; others don’t even exist except as an invention of the cult, a ruse by the priests to gain power and influence over the worshippers.

and

The following types of creatures are often labelled “gods” and worshipped or placated by humans:
* “Demons”
* Creatures from other planets and stars
* Monstrous and prehistoric animals
* Undead and spirits

So if that is the case I see the Priest career as having no special abilities, not even those detailed in BoL. For a Priest to have any 'special powers' he would have to also take the Sorcerer/Magician career.

Thoughts?

3/03/2014 6:01 am  #2

Re: [Barbarians of Xoth] Priests

A priest in this setting would be more akin to a cultist, no?

I could see keeping (or tweaking a bit) Priests as-written as gifts from worship and placating these monstrous beings. Gifts in this case a broad term from the "fate points" as-written or even monstrous mutations and the like.

Art By Blob                                                  Legend4ry Gaming

3/04/2014 11:09 am  #3

So for those religious cults that are a pure fabrication, where does their 'mysterious powers' come from?

3/04/2014 11:27 pm  #4

Murgh Bpurn wrote:

For a Priest to have any 'special powers' he would have to also take the Sorcerer/Magician career.

Thoughts?

Take the rules for priests from H+I.

Deutscher BoL Blog

"Killing equals honor!"

3/05/2014 10:05 am  #5

I guess it depends on how the campaign is being run. Whether a priest actually has special powers or not, he will still be able to exert a large amount of influence and power on those who fear and worship the "gods". Further, it is possible that special powers (Devotions & Fate Points) actually come from the demons and other monstrous creatures - a feeling of Lovecraftian terror starting to creep in - the priest's soul may be in serious jeopardy. The suggestion of using the rules from H+I is also worth considering; I think MarCazm is specifically referencing the rules on pg 179 of H+I (Careers and the Supernatural).

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/09/2014 11:35 am  #6

I want to take as a starting point the relgions that exist as an "invention of the cult". I agree that the priest will exert a large amount of influence over his 'flock', however with just a Priest career he would have no supernatural / mystical powers, as where would these powers come from, the whole religion is built on a lie?

3/09/2014 11:50 am  #7

It seems fair to say that a Priest of an "invented" cult would not have any powers unless he also uses magick. That said, depending on just how big the cult is, it might be reasonable to say that his power comes from the collective energies of the devout.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/10/2014 1:21 am  #8

I like the cult relying in sorcery and alchemy to support its facade as a godly one. Sounds evil and twisted enough to me "yes my dear followers, i need some blood samples of yours to commune with our beloved god. Some nubile wenches would be good as sacrifices form time to time as well. It is all for your good".

3/10/2014 11:55 am  #9

Xavi wrote:

I like the cult relying in sorcery and alchemy to support its facade as a godly one. Sounds evil and twisted enough to me "yes my dear followers, i need some blood samples of yours to commune with our beloved god. Some nubile wenches would be good as sacrifices form time to time as well. It is all for your good".

This...this is what we're talking about folks. Sword & Sorcery at its best

3/10/2014 12:13 pm  #10

Murgh Bpurn wrote:

So if that is the case I see the Priest career as having no special abilities, not even those detailed in BoL. For a Priest to have any 'special powers' he would have to also take the Sorcerer/Magician career.

The GIT! wrote:

Xavi wrote:

This...this is what we're talking about folks. Sword & Sorcery at its best

So we're in agreement then!!

Board footera