The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2024 3:16 am  #1

Barbarians of Legend (BoL)

I'm working on a ruleset that takes BoL out of the Lemurian setting and simplifies it even more as follows:

There are only three attributes (Strength, Agility & Wits).
There are three combat abilities (close, ranged and defence).
Careers have no ranks. You simply get a bonus die if you have the career for the task (this includes "warrior" careers). You only get three careers (instead of four). I may even reduce this to two.
Every career gives one unique special ability along with the normal things that having that career covers.
Priority goes back to the legendary edition style (roll d6 + wits).
There are hero points, but no crafting points, fate points or arcane power. Those abilities do not rely on point expenditure.
There are no boons & flaws.
Other changes are being made. Hoping to keep the document to less than 6 pages to keep it "bare-bones".

1/16/2024 1:07 pm  #2

Re: Barbarians of Legend (BoL)

It sounds interesting. Will you just post it on DriveThru or your website when it's ready?

One question - you state that there are no crafting points, fate points or arcane power as those abilities do not rely on point expenditure. That implies that the abilities still exist, but are utilised in a different manner. Any insight of how things like arcane power will operate without points?

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

1/16/2024 3:27 pm  #3

The GIT! wrote:

It sounds interesting. Will you just post it on DriveThru or your website when it's ready?

One question - you state that there are no crafting points, fate points or arcane power as those abilities do not rely on point expenditure. That implies that the abilities still exist, but are utilised in a different manner. Any insight of how things like arcane power will operate without points?

Message me your email and I'll send the doc to you 

1/17/2024 5:07 am  #4

PM sent.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

1/17/2024 11:00 am  #5

Thanks for sending what you have got so far. This looks interesting! An initial squint makes this look like a very playable game - rules light but covering what's needed.

I'm currently running a game set in the pseudo-mesoamerica, using the pregens included in ‘Sky-Serpent of Tletzlan’ - Garnett's free scenario promoting the S&S Codex. My wife Alison has suggested she gives BoL Basic a run for me as player, using 'Basic' versions of the current party - the set up being that this is a fever dream of one of the party which they will wake up from when/if they 'die'. I could then give it a run in a Hyborian adventure featuring thieves in Shem. If we get this off the ground I'll report back.

I think the idea of keeping Basic to around 6 pages is good. One thing that's needed is some kind of Bestiary perhaps: a few example of obvious real word critters (horse would be one, plus dog/wolf and bear) and a couple of examples of monsters - but with rules/guidelines for coming up with your own creatures. 

My real name is Steve Hall

1/17/2024 11:44 am  #6

Further thoughts...

Will there be Toughs? Or will you just have Heroes/Villains and Rabble? Personally I think Toughs are usefull in fleshing out the supporting cast. And don't Villains always have Henchmen, Acolytes, Apprentice Sorcerors?

Umm... Lifeblood 5 and 1 Career?

Mentioning careers, I'd favour keeping 3 careers for Heroes. Everyone starts somewhere and in games I've found that even 'Farmer 1' has proved useful, "This farm isn't being worked and those men pretending to work in the fields have no idea how to plant seedling - it's a trap!" 

1/17/2024 1:29 pm  #7

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Further thoughts...

Will there be Toughs? Or will you just have Heroes/Villains and Rabble? Personally I think Toughs are usefull in fleshing out the supporting cast. And don't Villains always have Henchmen, Acolytes, Apprentice Sorcerors?

Umm... Lifeblood 5 and 1 Career?

Mentioning careers, I'd favour keeping 3 careers for Heroes. Everyone starts somewhere and in games I've found that even 'Farmer 1' has proved useful, "This farm isn't being worked and those men pretending to work in the fields have no idea how to plant seedling - it's a trap!" 

I haven't thought that far ahead yet, but almost certainly there will be rabble, toughs and npcs. Lifeblood is 10 + strength as in normal BoL.

It's basically a work in progress so any ideas are welcome.

Last edited by SimonW (1/17/2024 1:31 pm)

1/17/2024 11:40 pm  #8

With the 5 LB and 1 Career idea I was thinking about Toughs.

Thinking again, I wonder if that makes them too powerful in relation to Heroes/Villains? Perhaps they get 5 LB and 1 Career, but no Special Ability?

1/18/2024 3:05 am  #9

Gruntfuttock wrote:

With the 5 LB and 1 Career idea I was thinking about Toughs.

Thinking again, I wonder if that makes them too powerful in relation to Heroes/Villains? Perhaps they get 5 LB and 1 Career, but no Special Ability?

Sounds about right

1/25/2024 12:01 pm  #10

Is the intention to keep to 5 Hero/Villain points?

Also, will critters (natural and otherwise) be generated as in standard BoL?

I've been looking at running some Hyborian scenarios with this (probably sometime next month). 

Board footera