The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/23/2014 8:47 am  #41

Re: What RPG(s) are you playing/running/planning?

Thankfully now tha things have died down at work, I'm going to be starting a BoL game on Roll20 set in the world of the Death Dealer.

11/27/2014 8:58 am  #42

Currently we have been playing Car Wars on Friday nights. We are not using any RPG elements at the moment but we are gearing up to have each player make a team and play tournaments.
My roomie wants to introduce her friends to RPGs so I hope to start with Warrior, Rogue and Mage and then switch to BoL.

12/02/2014 9:55 am  #43

I run a BareBones Fantasy game set in Tamriel (Elder Scrolls setting) called Dominion on Fridays bi-weekly.

I run a BareBones Covert Opps game set in the Stargate universe called Stargate: Legacy of Ra Sundays bi-weekly.

I run a Barbarians of the Void (BoL sci-fi) game set in my own Terminal Verge setting with my playtest group.

I run a pbp Talislanta 4th Edition game.

12/02/2014 11:22 am  #44

More Crimson Blades fun last night, involving a poisoned oasis and poison tongues nearly leading to party fallout, a chase across the desert to outrun giant sand elementals and Dendrelyssi- summoned zombies riding skeletal horses protecting the party from desrt tribesmen.

All in all, great fun!. Starring Tull the Barbarian, Grathon the Fighter and Kashmir the Dendrelyssi.

12/09/2014 4:55 pm  #45

Current planning/daydreaming: Cold War-era Mission Impossible spy-jinks with Dogs of W*A*R, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, Operation: Rapidstrike!, and possibly some Delta Green elements mixed in to liven things up even more...

12/10/2014 12:34 pm  #46

gnombient wrote:

Current planning/daydreaming: Cold War-era Mission Impossible spy-jinks with Dogs of W*A*R, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, Operation: Rapidstrike!, and possibly some Delta Green elements mixed in to liven things up even more...

That sounds brilliant!

I'm getting ready to start a Barbarians of the Void game.
I'm adapting the Mongoose Traveller adventure "Prison Planet" as a launch point.
I'm having fun fleshing out a the different prison gangs.
So far I've got:
- The Typhon Marauders, led by Leticia "La Madrina" Blanco, a vicous space pirate clan gunning to take over the "Dust" trade in the prison. 
- The Jacovian Syndicate, led by Goran Zalta, known as "The Butcher" for his propensity to hack up and dismember rivals and leave them in piles to be found. Currently the biggest and most powerful gang in the prison.
- The Silent Path, a violent Psion Supremacist group. Psions are forced to wear a Neural Inhibitor collar to suppress their abilities, but which causes anguish and physical distress over time.
- A couple of other minor groups to act as generic thugs.

Good times.

5/08/2017 2:39 pm  #47

Hi there, I hope I am posting this in the "more-or-less-appropriate" thread.
I recently got an itch to run the first adventures in The Enemy Within, but then I looked at WFRP system and felt all lazy about using that system, particularly after falling in love with the simplicity of BoL. So I wonder if anyone has any experience adapting BoL to that setting and its particularities. First issues coming to mind seem reasonably easy to deal with:
- Blending WFRP&BoL careers should be reasonably easy, turning special benefits of the former into boons in BoL. Career advancement would have to use similar xp costs/pace, and I am guessing WFRP careers could just replace BoL careers in spite of the many overlappings (the price of keeping the Career advancement features in WFRP my players like a lot).
- Magic, I am not very concerned about. I could live with a mix of lists and free-form magic, perhaps made more difficult in a setting where apparently magic is very formal.
- Conversion, I am not sure how to do it, but doesn't seem too difficult to accomplish, with some rule of thumb translation like WS:50 in WFRP becoming a +5 in to hit roll in BoL.
But then again, I am just starting to think about it and don't know WFRP that well, so if anyone has any experience that they want to share (pain points, how you did it, what you avoided....) it will be very welcome.

Thanks

"Ftaires! Ftaires!"

5/12/2017 6:18 am  #48

I've no experience of WFRP, so can't help you there. But as a general piece of advice, I've found that the important thing when converting from other systems to BoL is to ask yourself if it retains the feel and tropes after the conversion process. Eyeballing is better than concentrating on the numbers, but I'm sure that you are aware of that anyway.

​So the first thing you have to ask yourself perhaps, is is BoL a good fit for the source material?

​As I said, I'm not really familier with WFRP, but isn't it supposed to be a harsh, uncaring world that messes with PCs. If so, might the usual starting BoL PC be too competent/powerful for the setting?

​Whatever, good luck with the conversion.

My real name is Steve Hall

5/22/2017 11:18 am  #49

Recently playing: Playtested some Carpathia adventures using my "Carpathia Hack" houserules, a heavily modified version of BoL Hack, ran a one-shot of Classic Traveller, and continued my OD&D Wilderlands game.  My face-to-face gaming is on hiatus now until after new baby arrives and we've settled in, so for now I'm back to planning and tinkering for a while.

A new campaign centered around the Dolmenwood has been forming in my mind of late.  Was originally thinking of using Pike, Shotte, & Sorcerie for a pseudo-Elizabethan setting, but recently watching seasons of The Last Kingdom and Vikings now has my attention on the Dark Ages so I might be leaning more towards a tweaked Heroes of Hellas instead...    

5/25/2017 2:12 pm  #50

Gruntfuttock wrote:

​So the first thing you have to ask yourself perhaps, is is BoL a good fit for the source material?

​As I said, I'm not really familier with WFRP, but isn't it supposed to be a harsh, uncaring world that messes with PCs. If so, might the usual starting BoL PC be too competent/powerful for the setting?

​Whatever, good luck with the conversion.

Thanks Gruntfuttock for the friendly advice and reply. I am not sure really, it was just an idea crossing my mind, and while settings are definitively different, I felt inclined to adapt it to BoL as I am not too keen anymore of complex systems and what I intend to acomplish is nearly more easily done with BoL. Not to mention the heroic part merged well with BoL's hero points. The last bit, regarding hero balance and setting's harshness, sounded a bit odd, as I wouldn't think BoL is only fit for a Conan-esque setting, but perhaps I need to give it some more thought before I embark on it, and I have defintively haven't run those many games of BoL, so I would value your advise here.
Anyway, thanks, will let you know if I get on it

"Ftaires! Ftaires!"

Board footera