The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2023 3:31 am  #1

Sword & Sorcery Codex

I'm interested in what sort of games people are planning to use the forthcoming Sword & Sorcery Codex for? (The Codex should be out in the early part of this year, published by Garnett Elliott. It will be compatable for both Everywhen and BoL.)Will you be adding some of the options to your current game set in Simon's Lemuria? Or will you be using it to run Hyborian games, or to run games in existing properties like Beasts and Barbarians? Or something of your own?I'm planning a game set in the world of King Kull - but what do you have in mind?

My real name is Steve Hall

1/10/2023 6:10 am  #2

Re: Sword & Sorcery Codex

I'll probably get the Sword & Sorcery Codex, mainly because I have just about every "addition" to the BoL lineup that has come out.

But I really use BoL Mythic with my assorted house rules to play our games - no matter what setting, be it a  Sword & Sorcery setting (Hyborian Age Adventures, Beasts & Barbarians, Lankhmar, Erisa from Legends of Steel etc.), a D&D setting, a Warhammer conversion, or others.  (I've even done one for a Modern Age setting using a modified Bol Mythic/Dogs of W*A*R/d20 Modern conversion. - but we havn't played any of that yet.)

The best part of the BoL rules is how easy they make converting any setting/rules/adventure over, I have the Everywhen rules - and really, have only looked at them a bit, I'm pretty happy with what I have done with my BoL Mythic House Rules, so I haven't incorporated much (if any?) of the Everywhen rules.

1/10/2023 7:16 am  #3

I've found that adding the Resolve mechanic from Everywhen to my BoL Hyborian game really added a nice REH touch. (Garnett add Resolve to the S&S Codex as an option.)

When a particularly nasty demon appeared in one game, the heroes all made their Resolve rolls but their (untrustworthy) companions didn't. So while temporary allies wailed and died or ran away screaming, The heroes did a (tricky) tactical withdrawl to a choke point in the tomb and preceded to take the critter down.

The careful selection of options contained within the Codex should help GMs craft the style and theme of the game they are running.

As for modern day BoL, have you seen that the revised 'all Mythic BoL rules' Dicey Tales is being published soon? 

1/10/2023 8:24 am  #4

"When a particularly nasty demon appeared in one game, the heroes all made their Resolve rolls"

I've used a Mind task roll for such encounters from time to time with certain monsters.  Resulting in Shaken/Frightened status (drop weapon or items in hands, stand still for 1 round of combat while they gather themselves, etc...).  A HP can negate that effect.

I have seen that Dicey Tales is getting an update for Mythic Rules, probably pick that up too.

Last edited by Sigulf (1/10/2023 8:24 am)

1/16/2023 8:39 am  #5

As I mentioned on the MeWe forum, I'll definitely be looking to use the codex for a game set during the Hyborian Age, maybe even a King Kull based game as well. I'm also interested to see if it will work well with Legends of Steel.

Regarding the Hyborian Age, I have purchased a number of the Modiphius books but I do feel that they made 2d20 overly complicated for an REH setting; the 2d20 version they used for John Carter is much better IMHO. So, I'll use the books as source material and use BoL and the codex as the ruleset.

I have Everywhen as well but, much like yourself, I haven't done much more than peruse it and then use Mythic with a few houserules. If anything, I tend to use options for Honor + Intrigue than anything else.

I am excited about Dicey Tales getting an update and backed the kickstarter. I'd also like to see more English translations of the French language BoL material. The Lemurian Chronicles book was excellent and I'd love to see more of that.

Last edited by The GIT! (1/16/2023 8:40 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

1/17/2023 6:45 am  #6

Yes, the Modiphius treatment of Conan proved to be a disappointment. I didn't like the system at all. 

There was useful material there, in among a lot of padding.The real crime was a someone else posted - they made Hyboria sound boring!

1/17/2023 1:09 pm  #7

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Yes, the Modiphius treatment of Conan proved to be a disappointment. I didn't like the system at all. 

There was useful material there, in among a lot of padding.The real crime was a someone else posted - they made Hyboria sound boring!

I actually quite like the 2d20 system, but not the way they used it for Conan. As I mentioned, the John Carter treatment was really quite good, and I also like the 2d20 version of Achtung! Cthulhu (our group got involved in the playtests for both and really enjoyed them).

I have to agree that they did manage to make the Hyborian Age come over as a bit boring, but there is some excellent source material and artwork to be leveraged.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

Board footera