The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/20/2023 12:18 pm  #31

Re: Back to Barbarians of Lemuria - some different settings/campaigns

Back on 6-4-23 I posted that we were going to return to the Hyborian Age campaign, but we ventured off of BoL for the last few weeks and have been playing some The Fantasy Trip: In the Labyrinth (the game that started my rpging back in the late 70s).

Going to run the Death Test for a couple of our characters this week, then we are going to return to BoL and our Jalizar Campaign.  I've converted an adventure called "Bounty Hunters" by Jim Gillispie for our Jalizar storyline.  (I've been able to use this adventure on another campaign years ago and remembered that it was pretty good - so we will give it a go in Jalizar).  

In this campaign, my wife is running a female thief who is good with two short swords but is very greedy and has a fear of the undead!  Her current companion (my GM/PC) is an ex Copper Helm who was let go after he lost an eye and now works part time as an enforcer for Jutarkos Six-Fingers, the head of the Jalizar Thieves Guild.   (At first I had made him an ex-copper helm turned bounty hunter, but changed it to fit our campaign better.)

I have also converted the Tower of the Elephant for Jalizar - that will be coming up and my wife will love it.  (We ran the Mongoose d20 version years ago and loved the adventure!)  Its also my favorite Conan story and I remember having the Savage Sword of Conan mag for that story!

6/25/2023 2:30 am  #32

A tip of the hat (or rather steel helmet) to your wife for using two short swords - my barbarian GM/PC in our Warlords of Atlantis game used that combo - it's classy!

I've had a busy couple of weeks and so has Alison - so no gaming! I've also had no time to write another AP of our Aja games.

I'm taking a break from sword & sorcery for a bit, and am currently writing an Everywhen Victorian Monster Hunting game. When the Codex finally arrives I hope to run a series of s & s games set in the world of King Kull - after all, I've only been talking about this idea for about a decade!

Keep us informed on how the thief gets on.

My real name is Steve Hall

6/26/2023 7:45 am  #33

Gruntfuttock wrote:

When the Codex finally arrives I hope to run a series of s & s games set in the world of King Kull - after all, I've only been talking about this idea for about a decade!

Damn! That's exactly what I'm planning to do as well. I've been wanting to run a campaign set in the age of Kull for years. I quite like the Modiphius sourcebook but I want to use BoL and Everywhen for the game system. Can't wait for the Codex so that I can run this for my game group.

Last edited by The GIT! (6/26/2023 7:45 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

6/26/2023 11:39 am  #34

My thoughts and plans exactly!

I wasn't a big fan of the Modiphius books, but I thought the Kull one was OK. 

6/27/2023 7:30 am  #35

I actually quite like the 2d20 system that Modiphius uses in-house. They did a nice job of streamlining it for John Carter of Mars and the system actually has enough crunch for good tactics in Achtung! Cthulhu. For Conan, however, they really overcomplicated the whole shebang. The source material was pretty good, but definitely not a fan of the system for Conan.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

6/28/2023 8:32 am  #36

Had a good session last Saturday night playing our BoL Beasts and Barbarians campaign "Jalizar".  The heroine, Anya the Whitemouse thief, found herself at the Slaughtered Valk tavern when it was attacked by a group of bandits.  She along with a Northeimer barbarian defeated the bandits (with a little help from the retired Valk Wars veteran - now owner, Zoltan) and celebrated their victory with a fine bottle of Syranthian wine.

The following day, Anya found out that her friend Rykard, the former Copper Helm turned enforcer for Jutarkos the Thieves Guild leader, was missing.  This led to a couple of days of investigating for her.  Apparently, Rykard owed the Jan Tongs a lot of money for the gambling loses that he had occurred over the last few months.  In addition, the Jan Tongs had sent some men to visit him, and he had killed one and badly wounded the other.

Anya ended up visiting the Dented Tankard, where Rykard has a room.  Then from there she visited the Jan Tongs - her first trip during the day, was not successful, as she was turned away.  She returned the next night with the Northeimer barbarian for back-up.  They were able to talk to Dai Lomen, the owner of the lotus smoking den and gambling house.  He assured her that he did not put out a contract for Rykard's death "a dead man can't pay his debts, you know."  

She also had a meeting with Jutarkos, who has also been looking for Rykard and not very happy about one of his men being badly in debt to the Jan Tongs.

The adventure will continue next Saturday.

6/29/2023 2:56 am  #37

This is the adapted 'Bounty Hunters' scenario, yes?

I don't know that one, so I'm interested to see where this is going.

6/29/2023 7:40 am  #38

Gruntfuttock wrote:

This is the adapted 'Bounty Hunters' scenario, yes?

I don't know that one, so I'm interested to see where this is going.

No, this was a prelude that I made up to be run before that adventure.  The "Bounty Hunters" is coming up on Friday or Saturday night.  The Bounty Hunters adventure is pretty cool.  A thief runs into the PCs asking them for help, she is being hunted by 3 very tough Bounty Hunters for something she did a while back.  The Bounty Hunters are supposed to be "tougher" (higher levels, stats, etc...) than the PCs - so fighting it out with them should be a very bad choice.  We will see how it goes.  I made all three Bounty Hunters Villains with 4 VP each, 3 boons, and one flaw.  Thier leader fights with dual daggers, they have a Valk archer - very skilled with a bow, and a large Northeimer barbarian armed with a great axe.   My wife likes her characters to fight - so if she chooses to do so...  The Barbarian GM/PC will probably not back down either (a die roll will be in order...) You know those barbarians -

My wife made herself a new dice rolling box, and she is itching to try it out 

6/30/2023 1:12 am  #39

What is it with women - they scare me! 

Alison is also a very 'fighty' player, which has got her into trouble on more than one occasion. There is that old C&W lyric, "I'll die before I run." which sums up her attitude perfectly. (Mind you, she does run if required in Call of Cthulhu games, so she's not totally reckless.)

7/11/2023 4:49 am  #40

So we played the "Bounty Hunters" adventure on 6-30 and 7-1.  It played out pretty well.  My wife's character didn't try to fight it out with the Bounty Hunters and negotiated with them successfully to allow her and her companion to go into the Charred Bogs and try to locate the Wizard who had bought the stolen gem from the thief.  The Bounty Hunters took custody of the thief and gave Anya seven days to return with the gem.

The trip through the bogs was an eventful day and a half journey.  They encountered a swamp dragon eight hours into the trip and then a swamp cat just outside the temple ruins.  In the ruins, they managed to avoid being swarmed by a rat swarm (running into a room and closing the door behind them and then emerging with a torch did the trick), then they took out a pair of ghouls, a poisonous snake (Anya made her Strength task roll to avoid the poisons effects), and eventually the main baddie - a Nightgaunt.

They located the dead wizard's body and found the gem in the Nightgaunt's lair.  Returning to Jalizar, they met up with the Bounty Hunters and traded the gem for the thief (Anya had to make a Mind task roll to overcome her "Greedy" flaw though).

Next up will be a short adventure detailing what has happened to Rykard.   I made a pre-gen character for my wife to play during this short adventure, a female Valk spear wielder.

We did take last week off from BoL to run some characters through the Fantasy Trip's Death Test - did not go well for the characters, they all died.   (There is a reason why they call it the Death Test...)

Board footera