The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/05/2016 10:34 am  #1

Spending Advancement Points on Followers

So, my players are getting pretty hooked on BoL and we are now progressing in to the realms of the heroes spending (losing) their hard-earned wealth to gain APs.

One of the options for APs is to gain 10 rabble followers for each AP spent. These followers each have 1 lifeblood. NPC rabble normally have lifeblood of 1-3 and a career of 0-1.

My question, is how do heroes gain better quality rabble followers? Is it reasonable to spend an additional AP to increase the lifeblood and career rating? Is it reasonable to spend the AP to improve the rabble at a later point in the game?

e.g. 2 AP = 10 rabble followers with 2 lifeblood each; 3 AP = 10 rabble followers with 3 lifeblood and 1 career.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

10/05/2016 3:13 pm  #2

Re: Spending Advancement Points on Followers

Call Ally, Sidekick, Ally, Minions (from League of Heroes, pages 23, 28, 38). 

Last edited by michaeltaylor (10/05/2016 3:19 pm)

10/05/2016 4:15 pm  #3

Errmm...thanks...I think  ...actually, I don't think this answers my question at all 

Last edited by The GIT! (10/05/2016 4:16 pm)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

10/06/2016 2:58 am  #4

I think your idea is a good one, and I can't see why you shouldn't be able to improve your followers at a later date as well. However, I think a career for the followers should cost another point.

My real name is Steve Hall

10/06/2016 5:37 am  #5

OK, that makes sense. So, to get 10 rabble followers with 3 lifeblood and 1 career would cost 4 AP? Works for me. Thanks for your input Gruntfuttock.

2/05/2024 10:36 am  #6

The GIT! wrote:

So, my players are getting pretty hooked on BoL and we are now progressing in to the realms of the heroes spending (losing) their hard-earned wealth to gain APs.

One of the options for APs is to gain 10 rabble followers for each AP spent. These followers each have 1 lifeblood. NPC rabble normally have lifeblood of 1-3 and a career of 0-1.

My question, is how do heroes gain better quality rabble followers? Is it reasonable to spend an additional AP to increase the lifeblood and career rating? Is it reasonable to spend the AP to improve the rabble at a later point in the game?

e.g. 2 AP = 10 rabble followers with 2 lifeblood each; 3 AP = 10 rabble followers with 3 lifeblood and 1 career.

Admittedly thread necro (Arise!  For I am a Sorcerer-King-Poster!) but I was just considering the same thing after discovering the game very recently.   I was trying to figure out how to balance a character having a tough follower/companion/whatever with other characters that do not as it seems like the simple AP cost isn't really enough.   I came to the same conclusion that the initial cost only gets you the lowest stat in each category on the table rabble or tough.   If you spend more AP then you can bump up each column entry by one if possible (so a 2 AP tough has 1 attribute/combat and 6 life but still 2 career points since it can't go up).   A fully maxed out rabble of 10 would then cost 3 AP to get the max 3 lifeblood in situations where space is limited and having better rabble is preferable to more.   "Companion" style character builds are a personal favorite of mine and I always check out the possibilities when I look at a new system.

2/05/2024 1:03 pm  #7

Necro is no bad thing if you bring something new to the party, and also people looking at a post from 10 (Ye Gods!) years ago might now disagree with their stated opinions back then. So raise the dead Pit Fighter!

When it comes to companions....as people have moved away or even died (!) my group finally disappeared. This however is no problem with BoL or Everywhen, as the BoL mechanics work very well in 1 GM - 1 Player games. Also, when it comes to sword & sorcery, the original source material often featured a single hero, plus 'hangers on'. My wife and I run games for each other, turn and turn about, aiming to play every Sunday.

On thing I've introduced is the idea of what I named the 'Allied NPC'. These are generated exactly the same as PCs but with no Hero Points. Also they are never given advancement points. They are the Moonglums to the Elrics, or Little Johns to the Robin Hoods of their world. The GM runs them out of combat, like any other NPC, but they are always slower on the uptake than the PC and never take any leading role. In combat the player dictates their actions. The Allied NPC can never become a ghastly GMPC who steals the player's limelight.

I requires a trusting relationship between player and GM to make this work, but that's necessary for any game, not just a single player game. 

In a multi-player game Allied NPCs plus attendent Rabble followers work well for 'Dark Age' or Ancient Greek heroes and their retinues.   

My real name is Steve Hall

2/05/2024 2:17 pm  #8

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Necro is no bad thing if you bring something new to the party, and also people looking at a post from 10 (Ye Gods!) years ago might now disagree with their stated opinions back then. So raise the dead Pit Fighter!

When it comes to companions....as people have moved away or even died (!) my group finally disappeared. This however is no problem with BoL or Everywhen, as the BoL mechanics work very well in 1 GM - 1 Player games. Also, when it comes to sword & sorcery, the original source material often featured a single hero, plus 'hangers on'. My wife and I run games for each other, turn and turn about, aiming to play every Sunday.

*snip*

I requires a trusting relationship between player and GM to make this work, but that's necessary for any game, not just a single player game.

Thanks!  Ironically, I actually started RP'ing in a one on one fashion with a friend with D&D 2e but it didn't work out very well as neither of us knew what we were doing.  About an hour into the first game, my elven bladesinger got knocked out by an orc in the very first combat (don't recall if it was the first or second hit) and captured and my friend/GM didn't know what to do next!   We played a short "try to escape the orc camp" session the next time but it was about as clunky so we stopped after that.

I'm glad that someone else is a fan of companion builds whether by preference or necessity. 

2/05/2024 4:45 pm  #9

Gruntfuttock wrote:

One thing I've introduced is the idea of what I named the 'Allied NPC'. These are generated exactly the same as PCs but with no Hero Points.

This is similar to extras in Savage Worlds which don't have Bennies, while Wildcards such as PCs do have Bennies.

The beauty of BoL is that it is so flexible and easy to modify. I've said this time and again over the years and I still think it's one of the most versatile systems available.

BTW - I'm shocked to see this thread pop up again but really happy to know that someone has been trawling the forum and, hopefully, finding useful information. 

2/05/2024 5:11 pm  #10

Thanks and I'm definitely scouring it for resources.  I figure I'm probably not the first person to have particular questions so I usually try to search first. 

Board footera