The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/12/2016 10:10 pm  #1

The BoL Hack

A little project I've set myself is to answer the question "What if Barbarians of Lemuria were mashed up with (O)D&D?". I'm sticking with BoL stats, careers, Hero Points and a number of other "BoL" things, but from D&D using D20, classes (just two - The Hero and The Magician), levels, Hit Dice and a few other things. I've nearly got there with the project and I have to say it isn't half bad. I'm aiming to have this out before the end of the month.

6/13/2016 4:34 am  #2

Re: The BoL Hack

If you need a little playtest, don't hesistate and just ask. I'd gladly try this.

Marcelo "Fermmoylle" Paschoalin
Brazilian Novelist and RPG author

6/13/2016 5:19 am  #3

I'd watch the hit point escalation. In regular BoL you've got it scaled so the rabble-types do less damage, and falls and other types of natural threats are still deadly to skilled heroes. With levels and hit die, this begins to change.

6/13/2016 5:49 am  #4

G-Man wrote:

I'd watch the hit point escalation. In regular BoL you've got it scaled so the rabble-types do less damage, and falls and other types of natural threats are still deadly to skilled heroes. With levels and hit die, this begins to change.

​I'm not too worried about this (although you could cap hit points at 1st level, which would do exactly what you suggest) - it's not supposed to be BoL exactly and it's not supposed to be D&D exactly...

Last edited by Simon W (6/13/2016 5:51 am)

6/13/2016 4:44 pm  #5

Whoa, yeahhh!!!  I've thought about ways to combine BoL and White Box OD&D -- my two favorite RPGs -- but never even came close to achieving a true hybrid of the two, so I'm really excited to see the fruits of your labor.

Simon, have you seen Yora's Barbarians & Explorers of Lemuria (BXoL) draft?  It supplements the regular BoL mechanics with suggestions for D&D-style encumbrance, exploration, treasure-as-experience, etc.  I never used the rules as-is, but found them very helpful when setting up my hex-crawling, dungeon-delving BoL Wilderlands campaign.  You may find some interesting food for thought in there for "BoL Hack vol. 3: Underworld & Wilderness Adventures." ;-)

So many questions...  Are Combat Abilities still present, or did they get replaced by Hit Dice?  Will Magicians have D&D-style "Vancian" magic, free-form BoL magic, or some combination thereof?  Are non-combat task rolls still 2d6?

I second Fermmoylle's motion -- if you need anyone to playtest these rules, I will gladly volunteer my BoL Wilderlands group!

Last edited by gnombient (6/13/2016 4:45 pm)

6/14/2016 11:59 am  #6

If you'd like a copy to playtest, pm me your email address and I'll send it to you.

6/19/2016 9:57 pm  #7

So I've made a few changes based on feedback received and now added an (optional) new class The Priest (thanks Jason). I've been tinkering with other aspects and it's beginning to look really splendid. I'm intending to publish soon, so anyone who I sent a copy to who hasn't fed back needs to get back to me soon if they want their thoughts considered. I don't hang about once I think something is ready!

6/20/2016 2:09 pm  #8

It's out! The BoL Hack

6/20/2016 4:12 pm  #9

This looks very interesting, but I just can't ever get on board with anything that uses armor class. I will likely still grab it because I am a collector, and most everything I have seen from Simon adds something to my gaming even if it's just ideas and not the game itself.

Last edited by Claybor (6/20/2016 4:13 pm)

6/20/2016 7:27 pm  #10

Picked it up, looks good.  I have been "playing" around with my own BoL to D&D/Pathfinder conversions and this will add more ideas.

In fact, I am thinking about running a Freeport or Curse of the Crimson Throne adventure using my BoL/D&D rules, so this is definitely a big addition for me.

Board footera