The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/03/2016 11:24 am  #21

Re: What's on your BoL horizon?

If you know Portuguese (ou know someone else who is able to speak Portuguese), here's my crowdfunding for Atisi (the BoL setting I've mentioned earlier): https://www.catarse.me/atisi

Marcelo "Fermmoylle" Paschoalin
Brazilian Novelist and RPG author

6/04/2016 2:10 pm  #22

I'm thinking of putting together a game inspired by The Vikings with a dash of Beowulf thrown in for seasoning.  Of course BoL is one of the systems I'm considering.  But with Gruntfuttock's description of the Egyptian one shot and the talk in this thread about Egypt, I have a sudden desire to mess around with that.

Where's my axe?

6/07/2016 11:40 am  #23

Someone kindly lent me Star Wars "Edge of the Empire" so wrote a 34-page conversion to BOL for it. I'm looking at running the starting adventures.

6/12/2016 3:45 am  #24

Narmer wrote:

I'm thinking of putting together a game inspired by The Vikings with a dash of Beowulf thrown in for seasoning.  Of course BoL is one of the systems I'm considering.  But with Gruntfuttock's description of the Egyptian one shot and the talk in this thread about Egypt, I have a sudden desire to mess around with that.

I've been away on a trip so I've only just seen this. Narmer, can I just say that you won't regret it - play like an Egyptian!

As usual, my players are eager to play the one-shot PCs again - so the one-shot doesn't stay a one-shot. I'm planning on having the medjay and the tomb robber investigating a covert group of Aten worshiping holdouts in Thebes, who have turned to terrorist activities against the re-established temples of the old Gods. I plan to have the conspirators meet in a tomb in the Valley of the Kings - either a tomb of a government official who abandoned it half-completed when promotion meant he could afford a bigger, flashier tomb; or a completed tomb of some wealthy (noble?) 'great man', which means it will have traps still in place! (Aten worshipers will not be bothered by any thoughts of sacrilege.)

The visuals of Ancient Egypt are one of the glories of the setting, so if your players aren't familiar with the look of the setting, be sure to have some nice pictures to show them  (everyone knows what a Viking world looks like, but some might not be familiar with Ancient Egypt).

My real name is Steve Hall

8/07/2016 6:43 pm  #25

So, I've finally managed to start running some BoL games for my two regular gaming groups. The first group I am running a basic BoL:ME game set in Lemuria. I used the Krongor the Gladiator adventure from the main rulebook for the first adventure and followed it up with the characters investigating who double-crossed them for the second session. Both adventures went down a blast and the players love the system and the magic rules - especially when Erlik the Silent managed to neutralise 14 rabble with a legendary hit
For my other group I decided to run some Dogs of W*A*R because I'd just finished watching The A-Team movie, along with The Losers and The Expendables series. Again, I used one of the adventures from the rulebook and everyone had a great time. I was particularly pleased as two of my group are in the Canadian military and have served in Bosnia and Afghanistan - they can be quite picky when it comes to modern weapons and combat rules etc - no problem with this game; having one of the players use his Barrett sniper rifle at 100 yds to completely destroy the power plant of the bad guys SUV went down a storm
So, both games have shown themselves to be very popular in my groups and, on a personal level, the prep time was minimal - for which I am eternally thankful.

I love BoL!

Last edited by The GIT! (8/07/2016 6:45 pm)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

8/08/2016 3:27 am  #26

Yes, the low prep time of BoL for the win! It really makes it my favourite system.

Not just because I find prep the most boring part of being a GM, but also because I like to improvise as much as possible when playing. I never have an end scene or end solution in sight in my games. I just set up a situation and see what the PCs do with it. I know what the villains are trying to achieve and the resources they have, but essentially, I just have them reacting to the players intervention to their scheme.

​Playing that way means I have to cook up lots of NPCs on the fly. The simplicity and elegance of BoL means that this is so easy - I never have to halt play to figure out the capabilities of random NPCs (the major villains and henchmen are obviously worked out in advance).

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (8/08/2016 3:28 am)

8/08/2016 3:39 am  #27

In the BoL Everywhen thread, I said that it was a shame that Guns of Laredo was not available yet, as the new Magnificent Seven film seems to be a very pulpy take on the 1960 original western version of the story. Guns would be a good fit for someone wanting to run a game inspired by the film.

​However, BoL is so adaptable, that I'm sure anyone of us could knock together a western hack until Guns sees the light of day. So walking back from the gym the other day I put together an outline of a BoL game using two old BRP characters my players used a few years back. The adaptability of BoL is right up there with the ease of minimal prep, when it comes to evaluating why the system is so good for the sort of games I like to run.

This weekend I'm running another Dicey Tales game in 1937 China, as I hit a log jam with my Ancient Egyptian idea. But the western is bound to be my next one-shot.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (8/08/2016 3:40 am)

8/08/2016 6:32 am  #28

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Yes, the low prep time of BoL for the win! It really makes it my favourite system.

Not just because I find prep the most boring part of being a GM, but also because I like to improvise as much as possible when playing. I never have an end scene or end solution in sight in my games. I just set up a situation and see what the PCs do with it. I know what the villains are trying to achieve and the resources they have, but essentially, I just have them reacting to the players intervention to their scheme.

​Playing that way means I have to cook up lots of NPCs on the fly. The simplicity and elegance of BoL means that this is so easy - I never have to halt play to figure out the capabilities of random NPCs (the major villains and henchmen are obviously worked out in advance).

I approve this message.

Where's my axe?

8/08/2016 7:36 am  #29

Gruntfuttock wrote:

...I like to improvise as much as possible when playing. I never have an end scene or end solution in sight in my games. I just set up a situation and see what the PCs do with it. I know what the villains are trying to achieve and the resources they have, but essentially, I just have them reacting to the players intervention to their scheme.

This is exactly what I did in my second session of BoL in which the characters were investigating who double-crossed them. It took me half an hour to figure out the plot and the NPCs and then all I had to do was name them (I've created a cheat-sheet document of the example names in the rulebook for easy reference). The session was great and the players loved it.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

8/08/2016 7:40 am  #30

Gruntfuttock wrote:

So walking back from the gym the other day I put together an outline of a BoL game using two old BRP characters my players used a few years back. The adaptability of BoL is right up there with the ease of minimal prep, when it comes to evaluating why the system is so good for the sort of games I like to run.

I ran a Dicey Tales session a few months ago. I converted the players characters from a DareDevils (published by FGU) campaign I had run a few years back. It was really easy to make the characters and I also used some personal houserules to give the characters some specializations as well. Once again the game went down a storm and BoL showed itself to be an incredibly adaptable game that is very easy to prep.

Board footera