The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/12/2016 3:58 pm  #11

Re: What's on your BoL horizon?

For now, probably just more of my weekly lunchtime  game at work.  The group is nearing its first anniversary and still going strong, currently exploring the Black Ziggurat, a massive trans-dimensional fortress of unknown origin.  Aside from brief flirtations with Labyrinth Lord and D&D 5e, the game has been largely fueled by a witch's brew of rules from BoL Mythic, Yora's BXoL, Heroes of Hellas, homebrew stuff, and, as more science-fantasy elements have crept in, BotV and BotA.

I'd love to run or play some Traveller-style BotV (with some stuff bolted on from the LBBs) for some other friends this summer.  I've done some preliminary prep, but we'll see how scheduling goes. 

5/13/2016 1:20 pm  #12

FWIW, this was the sale that got me investigating these card-based adventures: 

https://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/440/New-Realms-Publishing?

5/16/2016 12:30 pm  #13

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Simon wrote a spaghetti western version of BoL called 'Guns of Laredo' but this has never been published. It sort of got overtaken by the work on Mythic Edition and put on the back burner. It may now form part of BoL Everwhen - Simon is the one that knows if it is likely to see the light of day, so perhaps he'll pop by and tell us

Sigh, if only! I'd love to see this out there, I hope it can happen.

5/17/2016 8:55 am  #14

Agreed! Even using Dicey Tales/BoL as is, it worked fine for my player's old-timer gunfighter in 1925 Central America. I think a tailored Wild West adaptation would be great. BoL would also be a good fit for Hollywood westerns as well as spaghetti westerns. I did start tinkering with some Fast Draw rules beyond what already exists, but I'd like to see Simon's take on the genre.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (5/17/2016 8:55 am)

My real name is Steve Hall

5/17/2016 9:13 am  #15

Ok, now the ball is rolling, I may share another thing that's on my BoL horizon. :-)

I've written a sword & sorcery setting for BoL in Portuguese. It's called Atisi, and it has some Egyptian (and African, in general) influence and it'll be published soon.

I'm sure Portuguese is a strange language to most in this forum, but at least you can see the final cover here: https://www.facebook.com/atisirpg/photos/a.952096611574850.1073741827.952091561575355/952096598241518/

Marcelo "Fermmoylle" Paschoalin
Brazilian Novelist and RPG author

5/17/2016 9:40 am  #16

Wow! What a great cover - and I'm usually not that bothered by art in a rpg. Nice work.

5/17/2016 9:42 am  #17

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Wow! What a great cover - and I'm usually not that bothered by art in a rpg. Nice work.

Thanks a lot! I created that cover after looking hundreds of old Egyptian artwork... At first I would ask an artist to create the cover, but then I decided to do everything "in-house" (i.e. DIY).

Marcelo "Fermmoylle" Paschoalin
Brazilian Novelist and RPG author

5/17/2016 10:19 am  #18

I’m a sucker for anything Ancient Egyptian, and I’m not the only one here – see the ‘Egypt’ thread started by Narmer in ‘Weird lands and forgotten islands’ (you can find it on Page 2 now, I think). I’ve often thought of putting together a Bronze Age BoL game, starting in Egypt and then moving out to the other competing kingdoms.

Good inspiration is provided by Matthew Woodring Stover’s ‘Iron Dawn’ and ‘Jericho Moon’. Particularly the first, which features an Egypt in decline, retreating from empire in Asia. The lead characters are mercenaries, coming up against a noble Egyptian villain. The feel for the period is what makes these books so inspiring to me for setting the tone of such a game.They are ‘real world’ fantasy though, so there is hardly any magic.

For a more traditional S&S take on Ancient Egypt, try Keith Taylor’s ‘Servant of the Jackal God’ – good, old-fashioned, pulpy fun.

However, I’m sort of committed to Heroes of Hellas next, probably followed by Firefly, and then there’s my Man From Uncle hack I’ve got half-finished. Too many ideas and so little time.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (5/17/2016 10:21 am)

5/17/2016 10:24 am  #19

That's a BoL Firefly game, by the way - naturally!

Come on people! What are the rest of you doing or planning with BoL?

6/03/2016 11:22 am  #20

I just finished a one-shot scenario inspired by old '80-'90 action movies (with a touch of supernatural) set in Miami, using Dicey Tales/Dogs of W*A*R*. A sort of mix between Big Trouble in Little China and The Golden Child.
Worked great!

Next time I plan to run an over the top anime-styled epic fantasy scenario using the rules of the draft of League of Heroes, set in a world where technology is spreading and magic is dying, and the PCs are the last sons of the Gods.

Edit: even better, I should make them the last sorcerers, part of a dying (evil) race that came from the stars.
"The Last Sorcerer Kings". I like it.

Last edited by Markodude (6/03/2016 11:27 am)

Board footera