The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2014 3:19 am  #31

Re: Heroes of Hellas

Are you aware this is a non sequitur? You can have deadly steel gashes with extremely simple rules

4/10/2014 3:26 am  #32

(I hate how this forum does not allow edits).

In general, the more complex = better simuulation of reality is a statement that is highly debatable. I used to be pro-complexity, but experience (reenactment, weapons training, talking to people that really know about combat due to their professions...) has shown me that they are not necessarily better simulations AND that they can detract a lot from the real macro-performance of combat. So my belief that complexity = better simulation crumbled to dust quite a while ago.

Xavi

4/10/2014 3:33 am  #33

Are you aware this is a non sequitur? You can have deadly steel gashes with extremely simple rules

Not at all. ,
X-tremely simple rules don't emulate good a melee. The more components in an engine (hit locations, different HP's on them, various kinds of wounds, etc.) the closer to perfection (perfection is like asypmtote in maths - cannot be reached ).

Bow to Satan!!!

4/10/2014 3:36 am  #34

(I hate how this forum does not allow edits).

WE AGREE IN 100% )))))

Bow to Satan!!!

4/10/2014 3:42 am  #35

In general, the more complex = better simuulation of reality is a statement that is highly debatable. I used to be pro-complexity, but experience (reenactment, weapons training, talking to people that really know about combat due to their professions...) has shown me that they are not necessarily better simulations AND that they can detract a lot from the real macro-performance of combat. So my belief that complexity = better simulation crumbled to dust quite a while ago.

I was once in knight's society and now reality cannot be achieved. You're quite right. Too many variables in this equation.
So why do we dispute? I prefer more complex rules to historical settings (doesn't matter are they real or not, probably more real than BoL rules) and less to S&S games.
BTW I prefer S&S

Bow to Satan!!!

4/10/2014 4:01 am  #36

It is a matter of preference in the end. I prefer to even solve a BATTLE lasting hours with a single roll, if ther eis a roll at all. I generally do not go to such extremes, but a single roll or 2 rolls to solve a whole combat is fairly common in my gaming groups. The reason is because as you say there are so many variables that in the end it is impossible to model well. You prefer more complex systems to model the same scenes. A matter of preference. None of those systems is perfect, but I feel more comfortable with a higher level of abstraction here while I guess you enjoy the grittiness of detail. Nice debate

Cheers,
Xavi

4/10/2014 4:08 am  #37

Nice debate

Nice to talk with pleasent guy

Bow to Satan!!!

4/10/2014 12:31 pm  #38

"We must first assume that we can actually simulate a real life fight with dice.."
--Tracy Hickman

4/12/2014 6:38 pm  #39

I have the PDF, but both times I ordered it from DTRPG in print, it got shipped to another location and they have never responded to my customer service questions...any suggestions?

4/12/2014 8:14 pm  #40

so you ordered 2 print copies, and never got either one? Were those copies sent back to DTRPG from the incorrect address? Have you tried contacting them via Facebook, G+, and/or Twitter?

Board footera