The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2014 10:08 pm  #21

Re: Heroes of Hellas

As others have said, HoH is definitely not a historical verion of Greece - it's Greek Myth through and through. And great fun.

4/09/2014 10:43 pm  #22

Ave!
Grasp. Historical, gritty settings are very... demanding. GM invests much more work. Now I cannot do this because of yelling newborn.
Btw I'm writing setting, quasi-historical one, for Savage Worlds under the name Dwa Miecze (Two Swords), with regard to Battle of Grunwald (1410 one of the biggest battles in Middleages between Poland and Teutonic Order). It's a hard work, even without huge impact on historical truth...

Bow to Satan!!!

4/09/2014 10:51 pm  #23

For a historical setting I would not use the BoL mechanics. For a Mythic Hellas it fits like a glove, though

4/09/2014 11:03 pm  #24

For a historical setting I would not use the BoL mechanics

That's right. Historical setting demands more detailed angine to give whole richness of armour, weapons etc. Fast rules are better for furious games - BoL, SW.

Bow to Satan!!!

4/09/2014 11:05 pm  #25

Engine... Hallo! Is any edition here?

Bow to Satan!!!

4/10/2014 2:14 am  #26

Not true at all. A simple system can achieve that.  What it requires is a more deadly system where the characters do not cut against the opposition like cheese, and were a solid blow against your neck cannot be shrugged like it was just a wind breeze that made you sneeze. this has no relationship at all about the detailed-ness of the rules system.

Detailed systems are not necessarily better to capture a historical setting. UIn fact I tend to think they are abysmal at doing so.

4/10/2014 2:33 am  #27

Why did I write so? Historical stuff has it's own characterstic and properties, diversity is unbelievable. To reflect it you need more complex engine. When you want to go along historical way you need more than 2d6 or d10 rules. I see that in this way. BRP is coll to mirror this differences between armours, weapons. Historical prerfection requires such an approach. Eventually one can play without this historical luggage and details. IMO gritty settings doesn't equal S&S style. Ultimately decision belongs to whole playing team.

Bow to Satan!!!

4/10/2014 3:00 am  #28

For the record, BRP does an awfully lowsy work at recreating reality. 99.99% of the authors of RPGs have no freakin' idea of real life combat of any kind, and it shows. A lot. BRP, D&D Rolemaster... all have some very bad assumptions in their core mechanics. The least detail you introduce the less likely your system fails too badly.

In any case a game with dice will never emulate real world manoeuvres very well, so the more detail you introduce the worse your system is likely to be.

Xavi

4/10/2014 3:04 am  #29

... historical settings and everyday life are alike in many ways. In real life (today and 500 years ago) one cut with a knife results in death or serious gash. So rules should be more complex.

Bow to Satan!!!

4/10/2014 3:19 am  #30

no freakin' idea of real life combat of any kind, and it shows

It's impossible to reflect whole complexity of life in a several numbers. Life cannot be transferred into maths. Engines are only trying to step as close as it is possible. ARMA society made a few rules od fighting on paper. I don't remember the name of this system...

In any case a game with dice will never emulate real world manoeuvres very well, so the more detail you introduce the worse your system is likely to be.

Golden Mean - balance between reality and complexity. Who is closer? BRP, GURPS, others? I live this question without answer.

Bow to Satan!!!

Board footera