The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2015 8:24 am  #1

Magic Q&A

A player cast demonic blade the other day and a few questions came from it.

First, how long does the spell last?  I told him just until the end of the scene or until he willingly ended it, if he did that first.  He then wondered what we'd do if he wanted to maintain it beyond that scene.  In the end, we decided just having it work as a more temprorary thing(ie. for the combat sequence) best fit the setting.  If he wanted it beyond that scene, he would have to recast it.

Second, if he has two weapons and cast demonic blade on one, does that in effect add an additional combatant to the fight?  Basically, does the sorcerer now attack on his turn and then treat the blade as a separate ally combatant that gets it's own spot in the iniative?  Or does commanding the blade require his full attention and leave him with only the option of attacking with the animated blade?

Thanks

3/11/2015 12:21 pm  #2

Re: Magic Q&A

I can't speak for others but I've always felt that each spell has to be assessed on an individual basis (which is what you seem to have done). Casting a magnitude three spell that creates an earthquake or activates a volcano could be said to run for an extended amount of time, whereas a spell such as demonic blade makes sense that it just runs for the combat.

With regards to having two blades - considering the spell description does mention that the "spell often requires Obvious Technique" I would suggest that the sorcerer has to concentrate and actually use gestures to move the sword; the advantage is that the sorcerer isn't under threat of immediate harm.

Again, these are just my own opinions and others may have far better suggestions.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/11/2015 6:12 pm  #3

I had been interpreting it often requiring obvious technique as meaning to initially cast it and not as an ongoing thing.

The concentration aspect is something I agree with.  My thinking was that, based on how magic general funtions in this world, something like demonic blade would require the continual focus of the caster.  While a third level spell like an earthquake was more a situation with lots of effort up front to get the ball rolling and then letting nature do the rest.

3/12/2015 12:56 pm  #4

It seems that you have a pretty good handle on things. At the end of the day it's a matter of doing whatever works best for your group and for the campaign; I figure that was likely the original intention behind the way the magic rules were written.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/14/2015 2:26 pm  #5

One of the things I like about these rules is how easy they are to grasp.  Thank you for your help.  

Board footera