The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2014 9:32 am  #1

Pike, Shotte & Sorcerie

Hope this is the right place for this post.

I’ve expressed elsewhere my admiration for the Pike, Shotte and Sorcerie BoL/H&I mash-up put together by Jason Vasché – you can find the house rules and char sheet here: http://pikeshottesorcerie.wordpress.com/gaming-resources/

The new BBC series ‘The Musketeers’ is popular with my players, so I’m thinking of doing a one-shot PSS game when our current Leagues of Adventure game ends and before we get back to Lemuria.
I’m been musing on an Elizabethan, ‘Musketeer’, or English Restoration (Charles II) game – but today I’ve had another idea (too many ideas!) of a game set in the English Civil War. Nothing firm yet, but I’ve got a few elements I’m toying with:

- The players are taking a rich man’s body (killed in battle) back to his manor.
- The coffin is lead lined and sealed – to protect it from the heat? But it’s a cool Spring.
- Why did none of the dead man’s regiment take up this duty?
- There is a French mercenary cavalry Captain who is interested in their journey.
- The Captain is rumoured to be a werewolf – they say he can only be killed by being beaten to death by a wooden club. His men seem proud of this!
- Why was this dead country gentleman rich? His lands are poor and he is not involved in trade.
- A Witchfinder is active in the area.

The werewolf thing doesn’t mean that it’s a supernatural game, although some people will believe the rumour (after all – he’s foreign!) Actually there was a French officer in the Queen’s Lifeguard who was rumoured to be a loup garoux. Probably just a very lucky ‘unkillable’ soldier.
Or then again perhaps it is a supernatural game – the players won’t know. The game is set in a time of political and societal upheaval caused by the war. People are frightened and look for scapegoats to vent their fears - hence the Witchfinder. Are people jumping at shadows, or is there real evil afoot?
I’ll see if this all perculates into something usable.

Either way, if H&I is too crunchy for your tastes, have a look at PSS. It's an interesting approach.

My real name is Steve Hall

2/11/2014 10:47 am  #2

Re: Pike, Shotte & Sorcerie

That sounds like it'd be a good adventure!
I think PSS is excellent - and a great, lighter, alternative to H+I (which I do think is great BTW!).

2/11/2014 12:43 pm  #3

Re: Pike, Shotte & Sorcerie

Glad you guys like PS&S.  Sorry I haven't posted anything there for a while, I've been preoccupied with other, more immediate concerns -- other games I've been running, impending fatherhood and other real-life distractions...  Now that there's a PSS fan club I guess I'd better get back to work! 

Some setting-toolbox stuff I would otherwise post at PSS has been set aside to be included in Carpathia, the in-development BoL-powered pulp horror homage to the classic Hammer/Tigon/Amicus flicks, which is on hold pending the release of BoL Mythic.  Even though Carpathia defaults to a Victorian-era setting, I hope there will be more than a few resources useful for PSS therein.  

Thanks again for the votes of confidence, more from me soon!

Board footera