The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/05/2014 8:41 am  #11

Re: Carpathia Update

A write up of typical NPCs tied into the setting: the Burgomeister, the Innkeeper who knows more than he lets on, the wise woman (not a real witch) who lives on the outskirts of the village, the character played my Michael Ripper who always dies early on... My point being that a lot of people might be unaware of the source material (old Hammer Films) so an example of the typical minor characters would help people design their own.

And names. A good list of typical names for Carpathia.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (8/05/2014 8:42 am)

My real name is Steve Hall

8/07/2014 10:31 am  #12

What I would like for Carpathia......well, a lot has already been covered in previous posts, but in addition:
A complete game (not just a setting book) with all the rules, including genre specific examples (and Hardback!)
Not just the writing, but the art to really convey the "feel" of a dark fantasy/ horror world
Not just vampire and werewolf etc. but varieties of monsters (possibly even suggestions on how to create/ convert new creatures)
Great chase rules that work for horses/ carriages (rather than treating them as "car substitutes")
A really solid setting with a host of NPC types, adventure seeds, location types etc
Appendices for other setting variations, such as Colonial America ("Sleepy Hollow") and Egypt (Mummy films) that include some specific careers/ boons/ flaws
but mostly I want to be able to really feel that the game captures the unique style of Hammer/ Gothic films

8/07/2014 1:55 pm  #13

grey wrote:

Great chase rules that work for horses/ carriages (rather than treating them as "car substitutes")

I was thinking about chase rules the other day, thanks for bringing this up.  Could you perhaps expand on what you mean?  What do you think would make the rules better?  (Also, have you seen the chase rules as presented in Honor + Intrigue?)

Last edited by gnombient (8/07/2014 1:57 pm)

8/08/2014 1:36 am  #14

gnombient wrote:

grey wrote:

I was thinking about chase rules the other day, thanks for bringing this up.  Could you perhaps expand on what you mean?  What do you think would make the rules better?  (Also, have you seen the chase rules as presented in Honor + Intrigue?)

Although I quite like the chase rules, they are an excellent example of what I am refering to: horses/ carriages are simply methods to move "faster" and get a bonus to rolls (treating horses as simply a piece of equipment is common in many games/ films/ books). To quote "The most important thing in a chase is the skill of the driver, helmsman, rider, or runner". As a long time rider I can guarentee that the actual horse also makes a huge difference!  Rather than create a huge post I'll write up some ideas and send them to you via private message.

8/08/2014 4:45 am  #15

send it to me as well and we will consider it. but remember, BoL is BoL because it's rules light and quick. Once you start adding layers of complexity we start to look like GURPS, which I love but it's not BoL.

8/08/2014 6:19 am  #16

theevildm wrote:

send it to me as well and we will consider it. but remember, BoL is BoL because it's rules light and quick. Once you start adding layers of complexity we start to look like GURPS, which I love but it's not BoL.

I'm right behind this...

8/08/2014 6:26 am  #17

Simon W wrote:

theevildm wrote:

I'm right behind this...

...and so am I!  

8/09/2014 12:52 pm  #18

grey wrote:

Simon W wrote:

theevildm wrote:

I'm right behind this...

...and so am I!  

Thirded!

8/12/2014 8:32 am  #19

gnombient wrote:

"I got my copy of Carpathia in the mail the other day.  I've read it, and I love that it includes ______________."

Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

First I think that what has already been suggested are all good ideas. In particular I would love to see rules, or guidelines, that allow a degree of customization to the various monsters and creatures that could be found in the setting of the game.

Now, directly filling in the blank.
I don't see the game as just covering a fantasy version of Romania. Instead, I would love that it includes a setting based on the Austria-Hungarian Empire. Covering such a wide and diverse territory allows the GM to throw in different cultures, and superstitions. In addition it gives the GM a number of different cities and wilderness that covers almost a third of Europe. So in the marvelous candle lit cities of the Empire you can have the Dr. Jekylls, the Burkes and Hares, the Sister Hydes, your urban vampires, satanist cults, etc. Not to mention the researches of the various members of the Frankenstein family.
In the villages and towns of the more cultivated states you might come across the returning explorers, researchers,or missionary. Here they are writing of their travels in the darker corners of the world. Examining the remains of unusual creatures, trying to make sense of the superstitions of the natives they lived with. Or hiding something too terrible to be brought out into the light of day.
And then you have the wilderness, the mountains, the forgotten or avoided places. Where the people don't want strangers poking into their business. And travelers disappear into the deep forrests. Where ancient castles watch over the little used mountain passes and the inhabitants only emerge at night in driverless coaches.

Which bring me to a point that I hope Carpathia captures. In the Hammer films, which Carpathia is based on, there can be made the point that the vampires come in several distinct types. You have the masters, i.e. Dracula, Baron Meinster, and Dr. Ravna. These beings exert control over what can be called lesser vampires. And in the first Hammer Dracula film Van Helsing uses the terms 'cult of vampires', and, 'vampire cult'. This would seem to indicate that the master vampires work to extend their influence by adding to their numbers. Now Dr. Ravna had a number of followers in the film, Kiss of the Vampire. At least two dozen people were there in his castle, each to one degree or another undergoing transformation.
One the other hand you have Dracula. In his own films he never seems to have many followers undergoing the transformation. Usually he only has a single femle follower, and she is treatd more as a slave or concubine then a disciple. It may be that Dracula has no great desire to spread his influence. Or he has reached a point where he only fully transforms those he deems worthy of the gift. Such as the Baron Meinster.

There are a few other items that I want to bring up. But my boss is reminding me I need to get back to work. So I will add those after I get home.

Final thoughts.
Another thing that I would enjoy is hints and adventure teases that lead to bringing in some of thre lesser known creatures from Hammer. As I mentioned earlier, I can see individuals harbouring variations of mummies, ghouls, and other convention monsters in their basements. And the characters becoming involved when they escape, or are used as weapons of revenge. Also, some creatures living in 'plain sight', such as the monster from, The Gorgon, or, The Reptile, would make nice changes from chasing vampires or created monsters.

That covers just about everything I am looking for from Carpathia. Although I am waiting to have a copy in my hands to add some elements from the Universal Classic Monster movies, and a few ideas of my own.

Last edited by Kathulos (8/16/2014 12:47 pm)

6/16/2015 4:34 pm  #20

So,
just wondering at what stage the project finds itself at this point?
I suspect I'm not alone in looking forward to this one. 

Thanks.

Last edited by nerosfiddle (6/16/2015 4:34 pm)

Board footera