The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2024 6:41 pm  #11

Re: Lands of Mist, Monsters, & Muskets

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Ha! My mind is getting old.

You seemed to indicate Cap that you had access to the Sword & Sorcery Codex? If so, turn to page 104 and you will find the dueling system I was blathering about above set out in all it's minimalist glory. I forgot that Garnett had added it to the Codex from Pulse Pounding Pulp. And of course, the Codex has the Damage Track.

But if you get a chance to get a sight of H+I please do. You might find The Git's suggestion of using just the advantage system from that book's dueling rules more to your taste. 

Just change the damage values of the gun rules I posted to Mythic damage and you are good to go for firearms.

Page 104 you say? And, behold, there it is!

Thanks so much for all the advice.

Oh, and I generally go by Paul, but don't mind "Cap" either! (Meant to mention this earlier, so you're not alone in your mind getting old.)

4/23/2024 10:07 am  #12

Hey guys. Sorry I've been absent recently. Was in Las Vegas for a work conference (life can be so tough at times) and then had a week off to recover 

Regarding dueling in BoL - as has been mentioned, I am a fan of H+I but I do realise it can be too much for some games. I think H+I is a terrific "tool kit" and I highly recommend it.

Also, as has been mentioned already, All For One: Regime Diabolique by Triple Ace Games is a fantastic game set in the time of the musketeers. I actually did a lot of editing for the AFO supplements that TAG produced, and I have been running an AFO musketeer campaign with my regular game group since 2012. They keep coming back for more of the same (it's the only game where we can get the whole group around the table at the same time) so I guess I'm doing something right.

Once this campaign finally comes to an end, I will plan to run a pirate campaign (in the vein of Black Sails rather than Pirates of the Caribbean) and I will be using H+I for that game.

Either way, lots of useful resources, and Gruntfuttock has give you some great advice.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

4/23/2024 1:02 pm  #13

Thanks for your input, GIT!
Do you think there's enough worthwhile info in H&I that it's worth me picking up even if I don't intend to use it?

Paul

4/23/2024 1:03 pm  #14

Viva Las Vegas! I was wondering where you were hiding, as I know you like swashbuckling just as much as I do.

For completeness sake I should have detailed the Mythc damage I use for my current games - for Cap to ignore or use as he sees fit.
Pocket pistol: d6L
Belt pistol: d6
Holster pistol: d6H
Carbine: d6
Blunderbuss: d6H
Fowling piece: d6
Rifle: d6
Musket: d6Lx2 (up to 20m- which is base range) - d6H (over 20m)

NB: I know that all black powder guns loose velocity and therefore striking power as the distance from the muzzle increases, and BoL and nearly all other rpgs rightly ignore this as too much detail. However, all period accounts of men using muskets stress the need to fire as close as possible to the enemy to inflict maximum damage. So I wanted to reflect that in the damage for muskets.

In the 1620s/30s 'musketeer period, all muskets would be of the heavy 'Dutch' type, and would require musket rests as detailed in my original Legendary edition rules. I also kept the misfire values from the original rules.

If anyone is bothered I can list my rules for grenadoes and powder kegs.

My real name is Steve Hall

4/23/2024 4:10 pm  #15

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Viva Las Vegas! I was wondering where you were hiding, as I know you like swashbuckling just as much as I do.

For completeness sake I should have detailed the Mythc damage I use for my current games - for Cap to ignore or use as he sees fit.
Pocket pistol: d6L
Belt pistol: d6
Holster pistol: d6H
Carbine: d6
Blunderbuss: d6H
Fowling piece: d6
Rifle: d6
Musket: d6Lx2 (up to 20m- which is base range) - d6H (over 20m)

NB: I know that all black powder guns loose velocity and therefore striking power as the distance from the muzzle increases, and BoL and nearly all other rpgs rightly ignore this as too much detail. However, all period accounts of men using muskets stress the need to fire as close as possible to the enemy to inflict maximum damage. So I wanted to reflect that in the damage for muskets.

In the 1620s/30s 'musketeer period, all muskets would be of the heavy 'Dutch' type, and would require musket rests as detailed in my original Legendary edition rules. I also kept the misfire values from the original rules.

If anyone is bothered I can list my rules for grenadoes and powder kegs.

Merci beaucoup!

4/24/2024 5:43 am  #16

@Gruntfuttock Always loved the work you did on blackpowder. I'd love it if you put a Mythic pdf together that updates all your blackpowder stuff; I think a lot of BoL players can benefit from it.

@CaptAdventure I definitely think H+I is worth the money. On top of the excellent dueling rules (which you don't have to use of course), there are excellent rules on Ships and the Sea, along with an excellent Gazatteer of the 17th Century, Crime and Punishment, Military Orders, Powerful Groups, Secret Societies, Supernatural, the list goes on. Chris recently updated the product thanks to a successful kickstarter, so the printed version of the book is now available in hardback. I think BoL players should at least invest in the pdf.

Last edited by The GIT! (4/24/2024 5:43 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

Board footera