The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2024 10:22 am  #1

Increasing Hero Points permanently after character creation?

Just wondering if there is a way to officially increase your hero point cap permanently after character creation.   Obviously anyone can house rule a method using AP but I was curious if I had missed an official entry somewhere.   I'm curious if the option to spend a hero point for additional boons at character creation is a front loaded dead end as opposed to taking a flaw which can then be bought off with AP.

3/25/2024 2:59 pm  #2

Re: Increasing Hero Points permanently after character creation?

Pit Fighter wrote:

Just wondering if there is a way to officially increase your hero point cap permanently after character creation.

Yes, there is! For the price of two [IP]s (Improvement Points... ) (BoL:ME p. 156) you can get the Boon "Marked by the Gods" (BoL:ME p. 51) & hey, presto! your character has got one more Hero Point.

In a very real sense, lowering your beginning HP score to get additional boons is just like taking the "Cursed" Flaw (BoL:ME p. 53). Nothing less, nothing more. A Flaw which, of course, can be bought back during play for the price of two [IP]s (BoL:ME p. 156).

So, however you cut it, it takes two [IP]s to get one more Hero Point during play.

Kruk Twice-Cursed begins play with 3 Boons, 3 HPs &... no Flaws! (Alternatively, he took the "Cursed" Flaw twice... what's in a name, right?!?). During play, for the price of 4 [IP]s he will in due course be able to raise his HPs to the beginning standard of 5 (Kruk Cursed-No-More, anyone?!!). 6 HPs even, if he wants to spend 6 [IP]s in total & become Kruk the Truly-Blessed!

Last edited by Lankohring (3/26/2024 4:59 am)

3/25/2024 5:15 pm  #3

Thanks!  For some reason, I had it in my head that the Marked by the Gods boon increased you from 5 to 6 instead of the more general +1 Hero Point.

3/26/2024 5:17 am  #4

Pit Fighter wrote:

Thanks! For some reason,I had it in my head that the Marked by the Gods boon increased you from 5 to 6 instead of the more general +1 Hero Point.

You're welcome! BoL:ME p. 51 says:

"Marked by the Gods: The Gods favour you. You have an extra Hero Point."

Same with the "Marked by Fate" Boon in Ew: PbBoL, of course.

Last edited by Lankohring (3/26/2024 5:19 am)

3/26/2024 6:10 am  #5

Pit Fighter wrote:

I'm curious if the option to spend a hero point for additional boons at character creation is a front loaded dead end as opposed to taking a flaw which can then be bought off with AP.

As I wrote here above:

"In a very real sense, lowering your beginning HP score to get additional boons is just like taking the "Cursed" Flaw (BoL:ME p. 53). Nothing less, nothing more. A Flaw which, of course, can be bought back during play for the price of two [IP]s (BoL:ME p. 156)."

For me, you must take a Flaw to get a second or third Boon. You cannot lower your Hero Points to get another Boon. Instead the "Cursed" Flaw in Bol:ME ("Unlucky" in Ew: PbBoL) becomes the universal Flaw. You can always take it instead of a birthplace/ city/ origin Flaw (second Boon) or birthplace/ career Flaw (third Boon). Alternatively, the "Cursed" Flaw can be found on the list of Flaws for all birthplaces.

In this way:

the first Boon comes from the birthplace/ city/ region/ origin of the Hero,

the second Boon comes from the birthplace/ city/ region/ origin of the Hero or from one of his careers,
the first Flaw comes from the birthplace/ city/ region/ origin of the Hero or it's the "Cursed" Flaw (for minus one HP),

the third Boon comes from the master list,
the second Flaw comes from the birthplace/ city/ region/ origin of the Hero, from one of his careers or it's the "Cursed" Flaw (for minus one HP),

the third Flaw comes from the master list but doesn't give access to another Boon.

This changes nothing to the system. It only makes clear that to increase HPs during play you either get rid of your "Cursed/ Unlucky" Flaw or, if your Hero already has 5 HPs, you get a new "Marked by the Gods/ Marked by Fate" Boon according to the standard "Buy boons and buy off flaws" rules on p. 156 of BoL:ME (Ew: PbBoL p. 98).

Last edited by Lankohring (3/26/2024 6:45 am)

Board footera