The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2024 5:31 pm  #1

Do weapon and armor proficiencies belong in BoL games?

The subject pretty says it all.  I'm admittedly not particularly knowledgeable about weapon and armor proficiencies in BoL versions and BoL derived games other than knowing that H+I has armor proficiences but I'm not sure if any others do.  Is H+I the "crunchiest" BoL game and do you feel it's ok there as presented?  What about adding it to BoL Mythic?   Obviously it's subjective but I figured I'd ask as BoL is a pretty tight and trim ruleset so there may be strong feelings about complicating it somewhat with the addition of broad categories of weapon and armor gained with certain careers as the standing for classes.  Thoughts?

3/22/2024 3:33 am  #2

Re: Do weapon and armor proficiencies belong in BoL games?

I'm going to be honest here - Honor & Intrigue has never been my favourite of the BoL derived games - pretty much for the reasons you've identified. However, I know it is very popular and it does offer some people the "crunch" they require that BoL and some of the others don't offer.

3/22/2024 4:30 am  #3

For what it's worth, I think the rules light nature of BoL is one of its strong points hence why I asked if some of the various dervied games and settings added ingredients like proficiencies that ended up messing up the secret sauce.   Just to be clear, I'm not referring to individual proficiences but rather broad categories like light, medium, and heavy armor and/or handheld(or light), one handed, and two handed weapons whether as boons or even related to careers.

3/22/2024 7:07 am  #4

Pit Fighter wrote:

Thoughts?

Nah, I don't use any armor or weapon proficiencies in any of my BoL campaigns.  Don't see any need for it.  If I want a crunchier system, I would probably just go back to the Mongoose Conan d20 game, it has plenty of crunch to it.

Last edited by Sigulf (3/22/2024 7:08 am)

3/22/2024 7:44 am  #5

That isn't what I had in mind for BoL at all.

3/22/2024 2:28 pm  #6

Fair enough and I appreciate the candid responses.

Board footera