The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2021 10:11 am  #1

Converting the Forgotten Realms Adventure "Sons of Gruumsh"

Last week I was talking to a friend who is a big gamer (he plays with a couple of different groups each week - all kinds of rpgs, I think that his favorite is Savage Worlds, but he really just likes to game) I had asked him if he had ever used the Savage World Hellfrost setting and he said no.  I told him that I was looking at converting some stuff over to BoL for my wife and I to use.  Then we got to talking about our ongoing different BoL campaigns - Hyborian Age campaign, Jalizar campagin, and Warhammer Fantasy campaign.

He said that they sounded cool and wanted to know about coming over and joining us for some BoL gaming.  I told him that I would find something that we could do for a handful of sessions and that I would get back to him.  He played BoL with us once, and didn't really like it - but wants to give it another go.

I was looking at some adventures that I have (unfortunately - I recently gave away a lot of stuff when we were going to move two years ago, only keeping a few items.) and found the Forgotten Realms adventure "Sons of Gruumsh".  I never played/GMed it and had been wanting too - so, why not.  

I started converting it to BoL, but a big part of the adventure is a serious dungeon crawl - something that I really don't like, and I really don't think works well with the BoL rules.   So I have been doing a bit of re-writing.

Its coming along pretty good - I have finished 3 of the 4 parts, the majority of the re-write was for Part 3.  If I can get it done over this weekend, I'll see if he wants to start that up.

In the meantime, my wife and I are continuing with our Hyborian Age "Hammer of Æs" campaign.  We are in the middle of the adventure "The Pact of Xiabalba", a 2d20 Modiphius Conan adventure that I converted to BoL.    My first conversion of a 2d20 Modephius module.    Not a bad story overall.

If we get going on the "Sons of Gruumsh", I'll try to post some re-caps.

6/02/2021 10:51 am  #2

Re: Converting the Forgotten Realms Adventure "Sons of Gruumsh"

Please do some APs/recaps - it's always nice to hear what people are doing.

Like you, traditional dungeon crawling - lots of unlikely traps and monsters just sitting there, waiting for PCs to turn up - holds little appeal to me. I've rarely run such adventures.
Hyboria is such a 'nicer' idea!

My real name is Steve Hall

6/20/2021 2:06 pm  #3

Well, we started the Forgotten Realms adventure "Sons of Gruumsh" - using BoL Mythic with some house rules of course , two weeks ago and have played two sessions, finishing parts I and II.  

My wife has a Elven female who wields twin scimitars, she took the following career:  Scout/Tracker 1, Duelist 1, Mercenary 1, and Thief 1.  Her back story is that she has been banished from her lands for a period of 100 years due to killing her commander in "practice" duel.

My friend joined us and made up a human character with the following careers,  Scribe 1, Physician 1, Militia 0, and Assassin 2.  He uses a bow and a scimitar.  

I have an NPC dwarf who is also running with them.

So far it has been interesting, they have not had a very difficult time with any challenges yet.  At the end of the last session they arrived at the Keep where the five humans that they are trying to locate have been taken.  Now they have to get into the keep, find the humans, and get out.  Then session 4 will cover their return trip with the humans (if any are still alive...) and the happenings back at the city where the adventure took place.

Session 1 was in an urban city - where they had to make a lot of diplomacy/gather info type rolls.  Session 2 was the group travelling through a wilderness setting - some rolls to avoid incurring penalties from weather effects, some rolls to track and not get lost, some rolls to perceive threats, etc...

In all, I think that it has gone pretty good.  I asked both of them what they thought and they both liked the adventure so far.

In the meantime, my wife and I have returned to our BoL Beasts & Barbarians Jalizar campaign.  I changed the NPC that was accompanying her thief, the northern barbarian left and she teamed up with a former Copper Helm (town guard) turned thief-taker/bounty tracker.  This is definitely an urban setting game - I love running these types of campaigns and she likes playing them alot.

I have said it before, BoL really is a great system to adapt any type of setting/campaign to!

Last edited by Sigulf (6/20/2021 2:07 pm)

6/25/2021 11:07 pm  #4

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Your other campaigns sound really cool too.  I'm a sucker for Hyborian Age high jinks. I'm re-reading a some Conan stories now.

Where's my axe?

6/27/2021 6:49 am  #5

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with 'Sons' - I'm envious!

I was due to run a Hyborian game last Thursday, for my wife Alison. The game was all written (if it had a spoiler title it would be 'Death in the Ruin City of the Ape God') and I only had to stat up a few NPCs when real life struck. So game postponed! Hopefully we will be playing it this coming Thursday.

Like you I really enjoy city based games - factions, politics and memorable recurring NPCs. Expeditions to the wilds are often not as dangerous as staying home!  

6/27/2021 10:09 am  #6

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with 'Sons' - I'm envious!

I was due to run a Hyborian game last Thursday, for my wife Alison. The game was all written (if it had a spoiler title it would be 'Death in the Ruin City of the Ape God') and I only had to stat up a few NPCs when real life struck. So game postponed! Hopefully we will be playing it this coming Thursday.

Like you I really enjoy city based games - factions, politics and memorable recurring NPCs. Expeditions to the wilds are often not as dangerous as staying home!  

That sounds like an excellent title!  Perfect for the genre.  Hope you get to play it soon.

Where's my axe?

7/10/2021 1:49 pm  #7

Thank you for posting the game recap, looking forward to hearing more.

I am the one who writes ​https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/ for the OSR, yet BoL and Everywhen are pretty cool too.

7/18/2021 12:21 pm  #8

On 7-1-21 & 7-15-21 we played sessions 3 and 4.  Overall it went really good.  Both my wife and friend said that the conversion was well done and my friend said that it played pretty good.

Now I am going to start a Freeport campaign - I'm going to run the original three Freeport Adventures, Death in Freeport, Terror in Freeport, and Madness in Freeport.  I have the first part, Death in Freeport already converted to BoL.  The other two will get converted as I go along.  I also have a couple of side adventures to run in between the three adventures.

Our first session will consist of my friend making up his character, I told him that the campaign would start with the PCs on a ship to Freeport, so that he would need to have his PC incorporate that into his background.  I have a short on board ship adventure for them, a battle with some sea creatures (Kopru's) and an attack from a pirate vessel - we will get to use the BoL ship combat rules (maybe they won't get boarded and they will get away cleanly, we will see...)

I am a BIG fan of the Freeport line of adventures and am really looking forward to running these sessions with the BoL rules.

7/18/2021 12:28 pm  #9

Nice.  I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Where's my axe?

7/18/2021 10:40 pm  #10

Glad to see your pal liked the BoL experience. I've adapted a couple of  settings to BoL and Everywhen, with great success. Keep up the good work! (And please keep us informed.)

Board footera