The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2014 6:51 am  #1

Environs

I cogitate sometimes what lies beyond the borders of the cities. Are there any manors, villages or castles? What reach has a rulership of certain city-states? What is further? Empty lands full of nasty monsters or independent settlements? We know what was in medieval period, but in such a fruit of imagination rules concerning societies aren't the same. I hope I'm clear.
Could the author cast light on it?

Last edited by Mruf (5/11/2014 6:52 am)

Bow to Satan!!!

5/12/2014 2:39 am  #2

Re: Environs

I've always envisaged the countryside around the Lemurian city states to be a bit similar to that of the Bronze Age cities in what is now Iraq, but with forest rather than desert in the uncultivated parts.

So you have the packed and teaming city, with a few close settlements outside the city walls which basically exist to serve the city - dirty trades like tanners and suchlike, occupations to do with riding and draft beasts or livestock for food, fisherfolk if the city is by a river or on the coast, or simply just housing population overspill.

Further out are the farmlands that produce the food to feed the city - small villages here and there and the isolated homestead. If the countryside is safe and beautiful, you might find a noble will have a villa or possibly a hunting lodge - a place to relax away from their townhouse within the city.

Further out again you will find land too poor to raise crops, or else land that would be fruitful but which hasn't been cleared for cultivation yet. Beyond this is the forrest and jungle of Lemuria.

Until you reach the lands of the next city state.

That's my take on it anyway.

My real name is Steve Hall

5/12/2014 7:38 am  #3

Sounds reasonably. I agree with this standpoint. Cities are extended civilised spheres on the sea of barbarism (scorched ground and endless forrests equals barbarism) like spots on the boy's face. It summons up Advanced Fighting Fantasy a little - there are no states but city-states. 

Bow to Satan!!!

5/13/2014 4:57 pm  #4

Gruntfuttock wrote:

I've always envisaged the countryside around the Lemurian city states to be a bit similar to that of the Bronze Age cities in what is now Iraq, but with forest rather than desert in the uncultivated parts.

So you have the packed and teaming city, with a few close settlements outside the city walls which basically exist to serve the city - dirty trades like tanners and suchlike, occupations to do with riding and draft beasts or livestock for food, fisherfolk if the city is by a river or on the coast, or simply just housing population overspill.

Further out are the farmlands that produce the food to feed the city - small villages here and there and the isolated homestead. If the countryside is safe and beautiful, you might find a noble will have a villa or possibly a hunting lodge - a place to relax away from their townhouse within the city.

Further out again you will find land too poor to raise crops, or else land that would be fruitful but which hasn't been cleared for cultivation yet. Beyond this is the forrest and jungle of Lemuria.

Until you reach the lands of the next city state.

That's my take on it anyway.

This is how I envision it as well.    Fewer small towns between the cities, but a few fortified areas.

Board footera