The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2019 10:55 am  #1

Tweaks to make the game good for longterm campaigns?

Has anyone got any tweaks for BoL to make it more longterm campaign friendly? This is the chief complaint typically about this system is that there is not much character development and as such, is not usually longterm campaign friendly.

Does anyone have any house rules and/or tweaks to address this?

5/14/2019 11:53 am  #2

Re: Tweaks to make the game good for longterm campaigns?

This is how I have run my BoL Hyborian Age campaign

The GM awards 1 Advancement Point every 2-3 sessions.  After the first 5 advancement points, the Heroes are now Legendary Heroes.  After the next 5 Advancement points, the Legendary Heroes become Mythic Heroes.  The characters "top out" after 10 Advancement Points.

This has allowed us to play a long term campaign and keep the game balance in check.  I know that some people don't like to have their characters "top off" but it has worked for us.

5/15/2019 5:25 am  #3

Re: Tweaks to make the game good for longterm campaigns?

I do usually do something very similar to Sigulf.

A variation I've used for my Ancient Egyptian campaign is to issue 1 Advancement Point every session, but only allow players to spend them at a significant 'shift' in the campaign (when a significant threat to the Two Lands has been defeated and a new one appears, or when the initial threat has exposed a bigger, more dangerous threat that needs dealing with.) This is usually when PCs have accumulated some 3-6 AP.  So as the situation gets worse, the PCs step-up to the challenge. I suppose you could call it levelling up. 

<A paragraph snipped as it could have been seen as snark - which it wasn't intended to be!>

Personally I've never had a problem with long-term play. I think I take a more Traveller approach to PC growth - it's the PCs growing influence/reputation/notariety that interests me.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (5/15/2019 5:51 am)

My real name is Steve Hall

Board footera