The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/15/2019 8:00 am  #1

Lords of Lemuria on the Wayback Machine!

Looks like it was archived in 2014, not long before it disappeared from the web:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140127205950/http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index.php?sid=4ddd451f90321e64b2771eecf315caf2&mforum=d6fantasy

Last edited by gnombient (2/15/2019 8:01 am)

2/16/2019 3:17 am  #2

Re: Lords of Lemuria on the Wayback Machine!

Ahhh….such nostalgia! There is lots of good stuff preserved here, from before the site fell to the fitted kitchen bots. A tear was brought to my eye when I saw references to your 'Pike, Shotte and Sorcerie' BoL hack. Happy Days!

And that's another thing - why do so few people post stuff about campaign or game ideas these days? Sometimes I think the creativity has slumped in the hobby. Of course you have people like Garnett Elliot, sharing ideas of stuff he is working on, aside from the fully worked up material that he puts out there. The short fragments of material that get your own mind working and sparks new ideas that you can develop yourself.

I wonder if many of today's gamers just want to run other people's stuff and have lost the Do It Yourself ethic of us old timers. Whatever - I just wish the little buggers would stay off my lawn. <waves walking stick angrily>

My real name is Steve Hall

2/16/2019 7:46 am  #3

Gruntfuttock wrote:

And that's another thing - why do so few people post stuff about campaign or game ideas these days? Sometimes I think the creativity has slumped in the hobby.

You’re not alone! Of course I’m seeing less here, but I’m also seeing less in general. Many boards dedicated to other games I’m als into have slumped. It’s almost as if the G+ thing has put everyone in a depression. I won’t celebrate a social platform. G+, Mugbook, Instapic, and Twatter could all disappear tomorrow and I wouldn’t care.

Gruntfuttock wrote:

I wonder if many of today's gamers just want to run other people's stuff and have lost the Do It Yourself ethic of us old timers. Whatever - I just wish the little buggers would stay off my lawn. <waves walking stick angrily>

(grin)

2/19/2019 7:17 am  #4

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Ahhh….such nostalgia! There is lots of good stuff preserved here, from before the site fell to the fitted kitchen bots. A tear was brought to my eye when I saw references to your 'Pike, Shotte and Sorcerie' BoL hack. Happy Days!

Haha, yeah!  Reading some Sabatini not too long ago got me thinking about PS&S, haven't run it in ages.  

There's indeed a lot of interesting reading on the old LoL board, I was really pleased to see it saved by the Wayback Machine.

And that's another thing - why do so few people post stuff about campaign or game ideas these days? Sometimes I think the creativity has slumped in the hobby.

Good question.  My own lack of productivity in this area is largely due to my current season of life -- my wife and I have two small children, so I don't have as much hobby time these days.  That said, I would like to get back to regular blog posting and interacting on certain forums (mainly here and ODD74.)

It is a little surprising that there hasn't been much of an uptick in activity following the release of Everywhen.  BoL is an interesting game in its online representation -- from what I've read in reviews, comments, blogs, and posts on various forums (not just here), it is very well received, highly regarded, and often recommended for pulp-S&S flavored adventure, but that's pretty much where it ends unless you visit a BoL-specific social media group. 

I don't follow the OSR/old-school D&D sphere too closely any more, but it definitely seems like there's still quite a bit of activity there, likewise for semi-related games such as Dungeon World and Blades in the Dark.  For better and for worse though, the OSR has become way more commercialized, with more people trying to make money on stuff now that 8-9 years ago they would have just posted to their blog as a PDF.  There's still some of that "DIY-and-share-it" spirit found on blogs, but since social media has become the primary means of directing traffic, poor forums are further impoverished and those of us who are off social media are left to surf and search on our own.

Regardless, onward and upward!

Last edited by gnombient (2/19/2019 7:23 am)

2/20/2019 2:26 pm  #5

I'm glad the old stuff is still there.

Where's my axe?

2/22/2019 2:56 am  #6

Yeah, glad to see it's still accessible. It's got stuff I wrote that I've forgotten all about, and which I should really work up into something playable.

My real name is Steve Hall

7/04/2019 3:23 pm  #7

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Yeah, glad to see it's still accessible. It's got stuff I wrote that I've forgotten all about, and which I should really work up into something playable.

It's amazing what I forget.  I look back over my blog and say, "I wrote that?  Wow!"  I need to get back into the habit again.

Where's my axe?

Board footera