The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2017 8:22 am  #1

My post-Ragnarok Norse setting for BoL

An axe-age, a sword-age, shields are riven, 
A wind-age, a wolf-age, ere the world falls;
Nor ever shall men each other spare.

With Ragnarok and the death of the gods, the world-tree, Yggdrasil, itself perished.  With its collapse, the nine worlds were wracked with cataclysmic earthquakes, volcanoes, and hellish storms as the realms became intertwined.  Midgard, as the primary battleground between the giants and gods, was rendered uninhabitable.  Driven by desperation, sailors tried to brave ocean voyages westward… seeking new lands beyond the storm-tossed and turbulent ocean.  Of those who set out, only a handful of Viking crews that set out from the British Isles and Iceland found the new land that came to be called The Distant Shore or Fjarrstrand.  Two of those crews returned to the ruins of Midgard in order to lead their people to the shelter of this new paradise.Humans are relatively new to theses lands, having first sailed here from dying Midgard nearly 500 years ago.  

As a new homeland to humanity, Fjarrstrand is a largely unexplored realm.  Humans live in small swaths of coastal and frontier lands that they have carved out for themselves, while always seeking to expand their holdings.Fjarrstrand’s ocean is strewn with numerous islands and rocky outcropping, and is home to various horrors that prey on the ocean’s bounty and on those who ply its waters.  In the ocean’s northeastern expanses, particularly in the area surrounding The Mistgate, thick fog blankets the water’s surface.  To the north and northwest, great mountain ranges and frozen wastelands teem with jotuns and other horrors.  The primeval forests of western Fjarrstrand are home to its native people, the alfar (elves) and other creatures of faerie who view these newcomers as unwelcome guests.

Here's a link to the setting, with the Barbarian of Lemuria rules removed (except in instances where the rules for the setting deviate from the standard rules).

http://www.scruffygrognard.com/documents/The%20Fjarrstrand%20Sagas%20Setting.pdf

Last edited by scruffygrognard (1/19/2018 5:06 am)

5/12/2017 6:38 am  #2

Re: My post-Ragnarok Norse setting for BoL

I trust your elves will be nasty Melnibonean types rather than JRRRT hippy types!

​My first thought was that the fringe settlements you describe seem a little too weak if the settlers have been there 500 years. Have there been vicious wars against the elves that have pushed the humans back to the coastal lands after some initial expansion? Are the mountains full of dwarves?

​How do you see the focus of the setting? Is it a story of human survival or exploration? Are the human settlements united, or are they squabbling (which helps the elves to pen them in). In short - what do the PCs do?

My real name is Steve Hall

5/12/2017 7:04 am  #3

Good questions.  

Elves are, indeed, inscrutable and capricious creatures.  At first they attacked settlers but, after the span of less than a year, withdrew from the lands nearest to The Mistgate.  The reason for this, unknown to Fjarrstrand's new settlers, is that The Mistgate, as a portal to dying Midgardr, brought death and decay to the what were the undying lands of Alfheim.  Through magic, and by distancing themselves from the portal, the elves seek to hold this blight at bay.  Eventually they seek to close The Mistgate and retake their lands, driving the usurpers into the sea.

Dwarves are rare and keep to themselves for the most part.  They use their gifts of artifice to tempt and corrupt men; driving them against one another with the promise of wealth and powerful items.  There are no dwarven women, and dwarves often seek to trade goods for human women.

Humanity has established larger communities and expanded their settlements upon these shore.  While they were united at first, they quickly fell back into their warlike ways.  I'll add a link to the pdf so you can see my work so far...

5/12/2017 7:05 am  #4

Map of Fjarrstrand

Last edited by scruffygrognard (1/19/2018 5:07 am)

5/20/2017 12:02 am  #5

This looks like it would be great fun.

Where's my axe?

5/20/2017 11:10 am  #6

Thank you!  I'll be starting the game in two weeks, so I'm hoping that the players enjoy the setting.

BTW, the rules are done:

http://www.scruffygrognard.com/documents/The%20Fjarrstrand%20Sagas%20Setting.pdf

Last edited by scruffygrognard (1/19/2018 5:07 am)

6/03/2017 9:21 am  #7

Wow!  Almost 150 pages.  And nicely laid out and illustrated.  This looks better than some of the products I've purchased.

Where's my axe?

6/03/2017 10:09 am  #8

Thanks!  My wife is in the process of proof-reading it (I proof-read it but missed some errors).  Once she's done I'll re-post the link.

6/03/2017 11:10 am  #9

scruffygrognard wrote:

Thanks!  My wife is in the process of proof-reading it (I proof-read it but missed some errors).  Once she's done I'll re-post the link.

Cool.  I'm looking forward to reading it.

Where's my axe?

6/04/2017 1:40 am  #10

Narmer wrote:

Wow!  Almost 150 pages.  And nicely laid out and illustrated.  This looks better than some of the products I've purchased.

I thought the same thing myself! This is quality work. Added to what Peter is providing here in his Dark Ages setting, we really are being spoilt on this site.

My real name is Steve Hall

Board footera