The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2015 12:02 pm  #1

2d10 House Rule

Sorry I'm so late to the party on this...  I was just reading the Beta 2.5 PDF, and this jumped out at me in the "House Rules" section of page 12:

"For example, one option is to roll ten-sided dice, rather than six-sided dice, for Task Rolls, Attack Rolls etc."

I normally use 2d10 for BoL and its offshoots, and am pleased to see it suggested as a variant.  However, I would also recommend mentioning that if one is do do so, the base target numbers/difficulty ratings need to be adjusted accordingly.  It's one of those things that's obvious to veteran gamers and rule-tinkerers, but would be helpful to mention for other readers.  I'm not sure if anything can be done about it at this point; I wish I had caught it sooner...  

(FWIW, I usually set the base difficulty at 14 or 15.)

3/29/2015 11:08 am  #2

Re: 2d10 House Rule

Just out of curiosity, do you change starting characteristics, use/amount of advancement points and career ranks when using dice larger than a d6?

He dwells on a great mountain. What use to call on him? Little he cares if men live or die. Better to be silent than to call his attention to you; he will send you dooms, not fortune! He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?

3/29/2015 12:25 pm  #3

I used to use 2d10 for BoL and had a long thread about it in the old Lords of Lemuria forum.  I used a TN of 14 (which I think is a bit high for straight translation).  The point of the 2d10 for me was a little finer granularity/difference between characters, slightly higher caps, and a little more room for character advancement - so I didn't change advancement points and just upped the maximum career ranks from 5 to 7 (if I remember right).  I ran a campaign like this for a year and a half and it worked well.  It is a rule that would be great for an EveryWhen option, though I am surprised that it made it into Mythic. I don't remember all of the specifics of my 2d10 house rules, but if I can find them I'll post them here for you.

I am all for options and flexibility, but I might add that I have since gone back to 2d6.  It's goofy, but I just like d6s.

3/29/2015 4:08 pm  #4

Crom wrote:

Just out of curiosity, do you change starting characteristics, use/amount of advancement points and career ranks when using dice larger than a d6?

Starting characteristics and use of AP are the same, and the maximum attribute and career ranks is higher (I set it at 8.)  I switched to 2d10 largely for the reasons madprofessor cited, although I confess that my irrational love of Gamescience 0-9 and 0-9+ d20s also factored into my decision...  

3/29/2015 6:35 pm  #5

I used a TN of 14 (which I think is a bit high for straight translation).

Actually 9+ on 2d6 is a 27.8% chance of success and 14+ on 2d10 is a 28% chance of success.

Last edited by Claybor (3/29/2015 6:36 pm)

3/30/2015 8:15 am  #6

Another option that never seems to get mentioned is using 2d8. I've always liked the d8 and think that it can add a bit of granularity to BoL without the numbers having to be too big. I also prefer rolling the d8 as opposed to the standard d10 (or d20). A target number of 12 is a little more difficult to achieve on 2d8 than 9 is with 2d6 but, once modifiers come in to play, the numbers tend to be fairly close. I would think that it would also be unecessary to allow for higher careers and combat stats. Just a thought is all.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/30/2015 10:53 pm  #7

The interesting thing is that all of these dice variants work fairly smoothly with minimal modification. 2d12 works fine too (for even finer granularity) - yet another tributle to the elegence of BoL.  And yes, Gamescience dice are the beez neez, especially the ugly opaque ones.

4/02/2015 7:42 pm  #8

madprofessor wrote:

And yes, Gamescience dice are the beez neez, especially the ugly opaque ones.

Agreed, the opaque ones are the best!  The gem ones aren't nearly as easy to read...

4/03/2015 3:41 pm  #9

Do you still use d6s for damage when using 2d10 or 2d8 for task resolution?

4/03/2015 6:46 pm  #10

I still used d6s for damage.  Having more dice on the table, or mixing dice types in the same game doesn't bother me 'cause I grew up on d&d and chaosium.  If you prefered the elegence of only one die type then you would have to add lifeblood if you are using a bigger die type and want to keep death toll about equivilent (I estimate about 25% more hits for d8s and 40% more for d10s as damage dice, but simply adjust to taste for the deadlyness of your game).  Also, you might have to rethink weapon damage in the same way, especially for d10s.  That should be pretty easy though as BoL has a high tolerence for fudge and error.

Board footera