The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/20/2014 2:38 pm  #1

BoL convention game

So I'm toying with attending a convention in March 2015.
If I do go, I thought it would be a nice place to run a BoL demo game.
Thing is, I've never run a game at a convention before. I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

I figure I need to come up with some pre gen characters to jump right into the action. I should plan a self contained story with an In medias res start, interesting middle and a psychotic, blood drenched, carnage filled climax. I figure I need to plan for a 4 hour session.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

6/20/2014 3:22 pm  #2

Re: BoL convention game

Any time I've run a game of BoL at a convention, I've done PC generation at the table. It's one of the strengths of BoL, quick PC ceation. If the players are taking too long on Boon / Flaw choice than I'll allow them to choose them in session, as long as none of thier precedings actions wouldnt preclude them.

6/25/2014 11:33 am  #3

You know, I was thinking that BoL's character creation was something that should be showcased.
But I was planning on handing out a list of pre-gen characters to get the game going, and then offer to show anyone who might be interested how to make characters after the game.

One other thing I'd like to ask is this, is there a preference in convention games to run games with or without minis? BoL certainly doesn't need them, but I figure many if not most convention goers will be D&D or Pathfinder players who may be used to playing with them.  

6/25/2014 12:29 pm  #4

I've never used minis. A3 whiteboard and counters where necessary.  

Not to say you shouldn't, I'm sure it would work well, I just dont have minis!

Last edited by Venomous Filigree (6/25/2014 1:05 pm)

6/25/2014 12:44 pm  #5

I was checking out the Reaper Miniatures Bones line (very affordable plastic minis) and several of them just screamed Swords & Sorcery so I placed an order for a bunch. Even if I don't use them for the con, I think they'll be nice to have.

6/25/2014 3:51 pm  #6

What convention are you going to?

6/25/2014 3:58 pm  #7

Any kinda props really spice up a Con game. Having a miniature or a standup mini for each PC is good. Maybe have some sort of bobbles or tokens for the hero points. Gotta have a map on the table. A Gm screen (if you use one) with evocative art. BOL is hard to explain to people; so any art will help.
You know when you say that there are no horses but you can ride a dinosaur it usually confuses players.

Last edited by umungus (6/25/2014 3:59 pm)

6/25/2014 4:01 pm  #8

I'm planning on going to Gary Con in March.
It features a lot of "old school" gaming, so i figure BoL might fit in nicely.
I've never been to a game convention before. I've been reading everything I can find on how to run a fun convention game and I've been trying to write up a scenario that takes into consideration the time constraints.

6/25/2014 4:06 pm  #9

umungus wrote:

You know when you say that there are no horses but you can ride a dinosaur it usually confuses players.

LOL!
Yeah, I thought about that.
I figure I'll feature dinosaurs as an element to battle against, but shy away from them as riding mounts.

6/25/2014 4:15 pm  #10

I'm a big fan of paper minis.

I started with SJG's cardboard heroes, and the free stuff from Dark City Games http://darkcitygames.com/downloads.php are fun.

(And of course, some of them were done for the adventures I wrote for them set in my world of Tyrin...Orcs of the High Mountains and Little Black Book.  Not a sales plug...both are out of print and I don't do anything with DCG anymore).  I like how Dario's figures, though simple, have a rustic edge.

Board footera