The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2014 11:24 pm  #1

Barbarians of the Void Playtest

Hi guys,
as some of you know, I've recently finished writing up a document for my BoL scif fi hack, Barbarians of the Void. However, I haven't had a chance to really playtest it properly.

To that end, I'd like to run a short game once a week on Sundays, mornings or afternoons.
I'm in the Eastern Time Zone (GMT -5) and would likely run it using Skype and Roll20.
Sessions would typically run 2 to 3 hours.
I don't have a set number of players in mind, but it would be nice to have 3 or 4.

Anyone interested can get the document here.
If anyone is interested in joining the playtest, please let me know.

Alex

4/03/2014 10:51 am  #2

Re: Barbarians of the Void Playtest

Looks pretty fun! Perhaps toss in a thing about firing weapons in space ships is possibly a terrible idea (especially when your targets hull side) encouraging some blade work during boarding actions.  (happy)

Coins, cleavage, and carnage...the three C's of Swords & Sorcery.

4/03/2014 3:46 pm  #3

I do like the idea of blade work in sci fi, but I hesitate to come up with a contrived reason for it.
I may write up some high tech versions of melee weapons that have a built in incentive for people to want to use them, like excellent armor piercing or something.

4/03/2014 9:32 pm  #4

Or do it the other way around: Ships are fragile and repairs difficult and extremely expensive. Powerful weapons might open nasty holes in the hull of the ship, so swords might have more damage than the (stunted) guns used in ships.

We can easily find ourselcves in a XVI century kind of tradeoff between missile and close combat weapons. Ones are powerful and kill (but are dangerous because they open hioles in the hull of the ship) and the others have problems going through body armor.

Xavi

4/04/2014 6:35 am  #5

I like it. How about the use of low penetration frangible ammo in ships for safety reasons. Perhaps armor is treated as the next grade higher against these rounds. Then have vibro weapons or something similar that reduces armor effectiveness. Boarding parties would then probably consist of individuals wearing light armor and wielding blades. Planet side though all bets are off and out comes the nasty tear through everything bullets.

Coins, cleavage, and carnage...the three C's of Swords & Sorcery.

4/08/2014 3:05 pm  #6

I like it alot. I am more inclined to not use Psi or do a lower power version if I play test it but that is just my personal preference.
For fire arms I can see them being bad to use on any space craft. Unlike popular SciFi a realistic craft would have very little extra room and important controls and mechanisms would be easily damaged by bullets or energy discharges. Even with a tough hull you will have a ricochette chasing you around. So now we need long knives and hunter/seeker drones.

Board footera