The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2014 3:47 am  #1

Mounted and other positional advantages

Hi!

I have thrown the ball to my fellow RPG players regarding BoL. The response has been a rukus of agreement about the imperative need to play it. What happened is that they decided to throw back a curve ball my way and say that they do not want rough northern barbarians of Thongor's and Conan's style, but to play ostrich riders and men from malakut. OK so far, no biggie. It seems we will be raiding in the first session, or escaping captivity after being captured in the prologue.

One of them asked me what advantage would his ostrich provide in combat while charging. I pointed out to the war cry boon, but the rest of the troupe seems keen on wanting some advantage for being mounted (*if* they are mounted in the first place, of course). So here I throw the question to you: how would you model the advantage of cavalry vs infantry in the game? 3D6 (take best 2), +1 armor, +1 to the roll to hit, ... nothing at all...?

Ganging up would be another question here (probably with the same answer), since I just reread young Thongor, and they bring him down by sheer piling on more than once.

Thx

Cheers,
Xavi

3/13/2014 8:47 am  #2

Re: Mounted and other positional advantages

+1 defense vs unmounted opponents, works for my troop. For charge attacks, permit a bonus die on damage rolls. Just limit the charging, at best it can just be done at the scene start as an opening attack. Simple is better  (wink)

Coins, cleavage, and carnage...the three C's of Swords & Sorcery.

3/13/2014 11:51 am  #3

Cool, thanks Sounds OK for me as well.

What about several opponents vs one? Would you add any kind of bonuses for that?

3/13/2014 1:52 pm  #4

What I had been doing was putting minions into groups of 3 to 5 and making one attack roll with a bonus die for the whole group. Hits would do damage as a single attacker +1. Simon has , in the new system , applied a +1 bonus per attacker in the group . This would cap out at 3 or 4 since after that the group would actually be in its own way. The mythic edition damage is different but for older systems perhaps a bonus damage die would suffice

4/04/2014 7:04 am  #5

+1 defense vs unmounted opponents

I didn't see this rule in the BoL rulebook (I've got Legendary Edition). Is it a homerule or official one?

Bow to Satan!!!

4/04/2014 7:31 am  #6

Its a house rule influenced from combat modifiers found in H&I, such as holding the top of the stairs or standing on a table in a swashbuckling sword fight.

4/04/2014 7:46 am  #7

H&I? What does the shortcut mean?
Quite sensible rule. Some rule is necessary in such a situation. +1 it's enough, maybe +1 to dmg (huge swipe...)

Bow to Satan!!!

4/05/2014 4:28 am  #8

It stands for Honor & Intrigue, a version of BOL geared twords swashbuckling adventures. Its put out by Basic Action Games.

4/05/2014 4:38 am  #9

It stands for Honor & Intrigue, a version of BOL

Obviously, my mind was on the trip so I didn't grasp it.

Bow to Satan!!!

4/05/2014 6:19 am  #10

(happy)

Its a good read, although I personally have grown to dislike it in play. Hero's get a lot of actions per round and it can get a bit silly after prolonged play.

Board footera