The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2014 6:19 am  #1

Advantage?

I was rereading BoL (Legendary edition) in preparation for this weekend's game when I noticed that there is quite a few entries (specially in the careers section) talking about obtaining/having an advantage, but then I found nowhere what does that imply.

Does advantage provide a 3D (pick 2 highest) roll or is there another mechanic about that?

Thanks
Xavi

3/11/2014 7:28 am  #2

Re: Advantage?

As a disclaimer, I am just another player and fan of BoL - anything I say is completely unofficial. With that out of the way, perhaps I can help clarify the use of the term advantage in the career descriptions.

In combat a character resolves his attack roll by adding the most appropriate attribute and the relevant combat skill (ie Melee, Brawl, Ranged). He does NOT, however, get to add any career bonuses UNLESS the GM decides (normally a rare circumstance) that the character's career gives him a small advantage. For example, an assassin may be allowed an additional bonus when sneaking up and backstabbing an unaware enemy. I believe these rare circumstances are the possible advantages being described in the career descriptions and they should only ever be allowed once in a combat.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/11/2014 7:40 am  #3

Yes, I am aware of that What I am saying is that I have not found anywhere in the book where it says what happens when you *do* get an advantage for whatever reason, either in or out of combat (you could get a social advantage, for example). Having an advantage is alluded several times in the text, but I cannot see what it implies.

Does it act like a Boon? A boon *is* described [page 25, along with flaws] but an Advantage does not seem to be defined anywhere from a mechanical point of view.

3/11/2014 10:53 am  #4

Xavi wrote:

Yes, I am aware of that What I am saying is that I have not found anywhere in the book where it says what happens when you *do* get an advantage for whatever reason, either in or out of combat (you could get a social advantage, for example). Having an advantage is alluded several times in the text, but I cannot see what it implies.

Does it act like a Boon? A boon *is* described [page 25, along with flaws] but an Advantage does not seem to be defined anywhere from a mechanical point of view.

The rules do state exactly when you use a career, out of combat. Under "The Core Mechanic" and elsewhere in the rules and in the examples. I'm not sure why you aren't seeing this?

The careers rarely help in combat though, so you don't add them, as a rule. Once in  a while, you might allow a career to help in combat, but never twice in the same combat/against the same individual. There are examples of when this might be in the rulebook but ultimately its the GMs call. Just add the career level, like you would outside of combat in the usual way. No this doesn't work like a boon. 

3/11/2014 11:26 am  #5

Simon, I think it is how not when that Xavi is after?

Xavi, I think the advantage being alluded to is that you get two add 3 bonuses to the dice roll when you have an 'advantage' in combat, Attribute, Combat and Combat Ability.

3/11/2014 11:37 am  #6

Yes, saw the fact that you use careers out of combat. I have no issue with that. I find it a good system in fact What I was having difficulty is with the meaning of "Advantage / bonus" (they are used interchangably in the text) in terms of rules. As far as I can tell, the rules never specify what it means "to apply a bonus/advantage", and this is why I was asking.

So it means it adds the Career rank to whatever (if suitable, of course). Cool. Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers,
Xavi

3/11/2014 12:11 pm  #7

Murgh Bpurn wrote:

Xavi, I think the advantage being alluded to is that you get two add 3 bonuses to the dice roll when you have an 'advantage' in combat, Attribute, Combat and Combat Ability.

Actually, not being picky, but just to make sure everybody understands -  you get to add Attribute, Combat Ability and Career to the dice roll when you get an "advantage" and only Attribute and Combat Ability the rest of the time (this is for combat rolls of course).

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/11/2014 12:51 pm  #8

The GIT! wrote:

Murgh Bpurn wrote:

Actually, not being picky, but just to make sure everybody understands -  you get to add Attribute, Combat Ability and Career to the dice roll when you get an "advantage" and only Attribute and Combat Ability the rest of the time (this is for combat rolls of course).

Indeed! My bad...

3/11/2014 12:53 pm  #9

I really should read my posts (and read them again), especially as we can't edit with this forum...

3/12/2014 6:06 am  #10

Murgh Bpurn wrote:

...especially as we can't edit with this forum...

I have to admit it is rather frustrating not being able to edit in this forum. Otherwise the forum is great, and it's fantastic being able to talk about all things BoL without loads of spambots attacking us

Board footera