The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2024 5:02 am  #1

Villain Points - How do you use them?

Admittedly, I've not run a lot of BoL/Everywhen, but I have run several games. One thing I've never been entirely comfortable with is using Villain Points. Obviously, they are extremely powerful. When I ran the adventure in Blood Sundown for Everywhen, for example, I didn't use all 5 of the Villains VP. If I had adopted an 'adversarial' GM stance I think he'd have taken out the Heroes. Maybe I'm just too squeamish...   

More, while the Heroes arrive at the climax having spent a few HP, the Villain will almost always have their full complement of 5VP, at least in most short, traditionally structured scenarios. In a longer game, having the Villain use a VP to escape/survive the encounter is obviously a different matter.

Rambling over: how do you use VP (and what have been the consequences)?

3/27/2024 5:30 am  #2

Re: Villain Points - How do you use them?

AndyB wrote:

Rambling over: how do you use VP (and what have been the consequences)?

My villains usually have 3 VP, when I make the villain, I will use 2 of the VP for extra boons.  I have found that a villain with 3 VP will usually be a good/tough final battle for the heroes, since like you posted - they have most likely used up a few HPs prior to the final confrontation.

3/27/2024 5:54 am  #3

Yeah, but if you've got 3 Heroes each with maybe two or three HP left, they still have (combined) more than the villain. I say you're being unfair on the villain. Poor bad guys never get a look in. At the end, the Heroes need to be down to 1 or zero lifeblood each, having used all of their HP and the Villain just survives, using his last VP to make his timely escape. 

Last edited by SimonW (3/27/2024 5:54 am)

3/27/2024 6:26 am  #4

SimonW wrote:

Yeah, but if you've got 3 Heroes each with maybe two or three HP left, they still have (combined) more than the villain.

Correct, I should have added that I am usually running a game with only 2 heroes, and they are usually down to 1 or 2 HP by the time the final battle commences.   If more heroes are involved, then another 1 or 2 VP for the villain.

I also give my Toughs a boon or two (plus a flaw) and sometimes I will give one the Marked by the Gods boon for 1 HP.

Board footera