The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/07/2019 8:28 am  #1

BoL + OMNI/Talislanta mechanics?

As an experiment/change of pace, I wonder how it would work to combine BoL's wonderful system of Attributes/Combat Abilities/Careers/Traits with a d20 resolution mechanic using the OMNI Action Table (Talislanta, Atlantis: the Second Age, etc.), retaining bonus/penalty dice and d6's for damage.  The BoL Hack (BoL with D&D-style d20 mechanics) has already gone part way, and runs smoothly enough.  I haven't thought through the ramifications of such a hack too much at this point, but I already wonder if the cap on Attributes/Combat Abilities should be raised from 5 to a higher threshold -- but if so, what?

Sorry if this is a bit muddled, I'm mostly just thinking out loud...  Any thoughts or suggestions?   The tinkerer in me cannot rest! 

6/15/2019 4:09 am  #2

Re: BoL + OMNI/Talislanta mechanics?

OMNI is a fine system, and I'm sure you could graft on Attributes/Combat Abilities/Careers/etc onto it. But I'm no rules monkey, so I can't offer any sensible advice to help! However, I'm interested in your impulse to try this.

I get the 'change of pace' desire, but what do you see as the main advantage of such a mash-up?

One thing that I think is the real plus of BoL is the careers system - quick chargen with a ready made backstory. I think many of the GMs who used to try to make BoL more like D&D were driven by the rules bloat of 3.5 edition D&D making their gaming life more like work. (I assume the BoL Hack provided them with an off-the-shelf solution - not read it myself.)

My real name is Steve Hall

6/20/2019 1:27 pm  #3

Re: BoL + OMNI/Talislanta mechanics?

"Degrees of success" resolution systems are fun.  I frequently use the 2d6-based Reaction Table from OD&D with BoL, and I'm curious to see how OMNI's d20 table works in play.  Thing is, I love BoL's Career system, and don't really want to play something that has a bloated skill list instead... 

All that said, I don't think there's necessarily an advantage to OMNI. To be honest, I've already cooled on the idea since posting last time...

Board footera