The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/01/2016 11:53 am  #1

Oars and Sails

Sorry, I've checked everywhere - but how do Oars and Sails work?

The book explains that you can rake oars, and that each ship type has a set number of oars each manned by a crew member, but there is no explanation if this number is used at any point in any rolls. So if I suffer huge crew losses and I'm down from 60 men to 14, surely this would effect Oars, as would an Oar Rake, but I don't know how.

On a similar note, Sails seem to be very briefly covered, if at all.

I'm confident I could whip up a houserule, but I wonder if there's some obvious explanation I've missed. 

7/31/2016 12:40 pm  #2

Re: Oars and Sails

The number of oars a ship has and the condition of the ships sails simply serve as information for the GM and players. For example, a ship with no oars but has a sail cannot move without the power of the wind and likewise a ship with it's sail destroyed can only be moved by rowing. As for a ship without either... well, you're at the mercy of the tides... 
As for rolls, a GM could incur a negative modifier for manoeuvring a ship that only has a certain number of oars remaining/manned or has a damaged sail.

He dwells on a great mountain. What use to call on him? Little he cares if men live or die. Better to be silent than to call his attention to you; he will send you dooms, not fortune! He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?

Board footera