The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2016 4:54 am  #1

What's on your BoL horizon?

Haven't done this in a while.
What are you planning to run/currently running using any of the various versions of BoL (or your own hacks)?

Today I'm writing the last episode of our current Dicey Tales series - 'Sandersons'. A retired British Gurka officer (and psychic) and a beautiful American night club singer (and mage) roaming around 1930s China, securing magical artefacts from various meddlers in Things Man Was Not Meant To Know. After defeating an ancient  shape changing dragon and being forced to run a job for MI6, they are looking forward to relaxing in Hong Kong. Shame that it's 1937 and all hell is about to break loose. (That's the next series.)

Next up, a return to Ancient Greece using the superb Heroes of Hellas. About 3 or 4 games planned for this. Might run a one-shot of G-Man's African Hyborian adventure first.

Planning: a long tinkered with 18th century conspiracy game, and.....who knows?

What are you doing with BoL?

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (4/28/2016 4:55 am)

My real name is Steve Hall

4/28/2016 7:46 am  #2

Re: What's on your BoL horizon?

I am currently still running a one-player game for my wife.  It is a Hyborian Age campaign, we switched to BoL Mythic from Legendary a while back.

I was also planning a modern era covert ops type campaign for us using BoL Dogs of WAR.  Have it on the back burner.

4/28/2016 3:49 pm  #3

The "Monster" cards for BOL kind of inspired an experiment. 

Can I run an entire game session from cards....

5/02/2016 6:54 am  #4

I'm running a long campaign in my homebrew setting called Atisi, and I usually run one-shots to strangers during a few RPG meetings we have twice a month. So this helped raise BoL awareness here--and people love the game.

But I was thinking... Have anyone made a Western using BoL? Drop you bow, grab a six-shooter, and walk into sunset...

Marcelo "Fermmoylle" Paschoalin
Brazilian Novelist and RPG author

5/03/2016 4:13 am  #5

Simon wrote a spaghetti western version of BoL called 'Guns of Laredo' but this has never been published. It sort of got overtaken by the work on Mythic Edition and put on the back burner. It may now form part of BoL Everwhen - Simon is the one that knows if it is likely to see the light of day, so perhaps he'll pop by and tell us.

I've successfully run a couple of games of a '1920's sort of western' set in Central America in 1924, using the Dicey Tales pulp rules - an elderly western gunfighter, a disillusioned Mexican revolutionary, and an ex-US marine mercenary caught up in a revolution in a fictional country. But I suppose that's more pulp than what people would regard as a true western. Good game though.

5/03/2016 4:22 am  #6

@Sigulf - I wonder how many Hyborian Age games are run with BoL? G-Man's proto-African adventure on the Strange Stones site is well worth a look, for a different take on the Hyborian Age. I'd be interested in hearing about any changes you made to DOW, if your covert ops game is set in more recent times.

@ michaeltaylor - Running a game from just the cards! Great idea for really developing you improvisational GM chops. Let us know how you get on.

5/03/2016 4:27 am  #7

@Gruntfuttock - I asked about a western because I have published a small Western setting for a Brazilian RPG back in early 2000s. I could rewrite it using BoL...

@michaeltaylor - Forgive my ignorance, but which cards are those?

5/03/2016 10:26 am  #8

Fermmoylle wrote:

But I was thinking... Have anyone made a Western using BoL? Drop you bow, grab a six-shooter, and walk into sunset...

No, but it sure seems like you could use this to do it: http://www.lulu.com/shop/simon-washbourne/blood-bullets-old-west-rpg/paperback/product-22087344.html

5/03/2016 10:30 am  #9

Gruntfuttock wrote:

@ michaeltaylor - Running a game from just the cards! Great idea for really developing you improvisational GM chops. Let us know how you get on.

Fermmoylle wrote:

@michaeltaylor - Forgive my ignorance, but which cards are those?

Well, it started with these two decks: 
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/155885/Barbarians-of-Lemuria-Player-Reference-Cards?sorttest=true
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/155877/Barbarians-of-Lemuria-Premium-Creature-Cards?sorttest=true

And then I just sort of wondered how much further it could go. 

I started picking up some of the Pathfinder decks -- alot of them are system neutral. Just NPC pictures, animal pictures, etc. 

Then I discovered Universal Adventures: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?keywords=universal%20adventures

And on Mothers Day CowCow.com had a sale - $5 per deck with free shipping! So I cranked out a LOT of decks! 

I made Encounter Decks, Map Decks, stuff like that. 

Sure, the adventures will be a little generic and a little quick-and-dirty, but what better game than BOL for that!?

5/03/2016 10:43 am  #10

Oh, that's great! Thanks for the explanation.

Board footera