The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2016 12:10 pm  #1

d3

De-lurking...

Well, I was re-reading the Mythic edition and, while everything is fine and dandy, when you hit someone with your bare fists or with an improvised weapon, the damage die changes.

Yes, I know how to roll a d3. No, I don't like that. BoL is d6. That's what I think when I play BoL.

However, if you don't mind rolling more dice, you can extrapolate your d3...

Bear with me. A d3 can result in 1, 2 or 3, with an average of 2.

Now, if you roll 3d6 and take the lowest result, you'll have a similar average. Check this:
Value    % =    % ≥
1      42.130     100.000
2      28.241      57.870
3      17.130      29.630
4       8.796      12.500
5       3.241       3.704
6       0.463       0.463
Average value =       2.04166666667

This makes the result to move toward the lowest results (70.37% chance of hitting for 1 or 2 points of damage; 12.5% chance of hitting for more than 3 points).

I like this. I think it keeps the "BoL way" alive. Am I the only one who thinks this is an ellegant solution?

Marcelo "Fermmoylle" Paschoalin
Brazilian Novelist and RPG author

4/06/2016 8:17 am  #2

Re: d3

God I certainly hope so! 

4/11/2016 9:28 am  #3

michaeltaylor wrote:

God I certainly hope so! 

- that made me laugh. Joking aside, I really don't see how rolling 3d6 can be considered an elegant solution to get a result from 1-3.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

4/11/2016 9:40 am  #4

The GIT! wrote:

michaeltaylor wrote:

God I certainly hope so! 

- that made me laugh. Joking aside, I really don't see how rolling 3d6 can be considered an elegant solution to get a result from 1-3.

Well, my idea was to keep d6 all the way. This is the only case a different die is called for (even if it's so easy to emulate it with a normal d6).
We are used to roll 3d6 (bonus or penalty dice included). Using the same mechanic (in essence, we are using 2 penalty dice here) has its advantages.
But it seems I'm REALLY the only one to think this is a good idea. :-p

4/11/2016 11:58 am  #5

I think the disconnect here is the idea that 1d3 is not a d6. The problem with your idea is that you are now rolling 3d6 to simulate a 1d3 roll, as opposed to rolling 1d6 to simulate a 1d3. The only time it's not a "d6" is if you use something like a d12 instead.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

4/11/2016 12:01 pm  #6

The GIT! wrote:

I think the disconnect here is the idea that 1d3 is not a d6. The problem with your idea is that you are now rolling 3d6 to simulate a 1d3 roll, as opposed to rolling 1d6 to simulate a 1d3. The only time it's not a "d6" is if you use something like a d12 instead.

I dare to disagree here: a d3 is not a d6. I understand your argument, but they are really different dice. At least, I see them as different.
Will we discuss the metaphysics of the cube? ;-)
Jokes aside, I really like the idea of rolling 3d6 for this. But considering the opinions above, I see I'm a lone voice here.

4/11/2016 12:06 pm  #7

Your solution isn't a d6 either. It's still a d3 because you're extrapolating a result of 1-3...you're just rolling three dice instead of one.

4/11/2016 12:07 pm  #8

The GIT! wrote:

Your solution isn't a d6 either. It's still a d3 because you're extrapolating a result of 1-3...you're just rolling three dice instead of one.

Aha! No, it's a d6, as the dice allow a 4, 5 or 6 to be rolled. Difficult to do it to the probabilities? True. But feasible.

4/11/2016 12:13 pm  #9

Ah, good point; I forgot about that. Now that you've reminded me of that point I dislike the 3d6 method even more - if a character is to do more than 3 damage with his bare hands (strength bonus excepted) then I think that should be dependent on whether a mighty or legendary success was rolled.

4/11/2016 12:20 pm  #10

The GIT! wrote:

Ah, good point; I forgot about that. Now that you've reminded me of that point I dislike the 3d6 method even more - if a character is to do more than 3 damage with his bare hands (strength bonus excepted) then I think that should be dependent on whether a mighty or legendary success was rolled.

Oh, then I can't help you. We have different views about the damage.
3d6 won't do you any good--keep your d3s.--In my table, since the first time we playtested the 3d6 the players loved--the chance (however small) to cause a higher damage seems too exciting to them. Fun trumps realism. ;-)

Board footera