The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2016 2:43 pm  #1

BoL and Mongoose Traveller, 2nd edition

When I stumbled across BoL in 2010, I was in the process of trying to hack Mongoose Traveller into something pulpier, looser, and more heroic.  While it was the abstract Career system that really sold me on BoL, I also thought the "3d6, two highest/two lowest" mechanic for Boons & Flaws was really cool, and something that I could maybe port into Traveller when I ran it again... 

Well, I haven't had a chance to run Traveller since then, but I couldn't help but inwardly chuckle when I read about this feature of the new 2nd edition of MGT: Boon and Bane.  I haven't had a chance to read the rules yet ($30 USD for a PDF is a bit too much for me), but I'm curious to learn more about how it's implemented.  Anyone played this yet?  What do you think?

4/01/2016 9:25 am  #2

Re: BoL and Mongoose Traveller, 2nd edition

It works pretty much the same as in Bol except that you can never have more then one boon or one bane die on any roll. It is the 'next big thing' apparently as D&D5 advantage and disadvantage works the same way as well.

Last edited by Claybor (4/01/2016 9:26 am)

4/01/2016 8:18 pm  #3

Yeah - suddenly everybody is raving about something that BoL has been doing for years.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

4/06/2016 8:16 am  #4

You know, Marc Miller has been pretty open about 'licensing' out Traveller. I wonder if he'd allow a BOL port?

4/11/2016 9:31 am  #5

michaeltaylor wrote:

You know, Marc Miller has been pretty open about 'licensing' out Traveller. I wonder if he'd allow a BOL port?

Damn, that would save a lot of headaches. A friend of mine is presently running a Traveller game for our group and we're now in the interim stage of slowly transitioning from Mongoose 1st Ed to 2nd Ed and it's a very painful experience. I've played Traveller since the early 1980's and I have very fond memories of the game. Having said that, it has become far too cumbersome over the years and keeps hold of far too many aspects that actually undermine the gameplay. Using BoL (even a BotV variant) would make things so much easier.

Last edited by The GIT! (4/11/2016 9:32 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

4/11/2016 9:44 am  #6

It would be interesting. I'd certainly back a project like that.

Marcelo "Fermmoylle" Paschoalin
Brazilian Novelist and RPG author

4/12/2016 8:54 am  #7

The GIT! wrote:

Damn, that would save a lot of headaches. A friend of mine is presently running a Traveller game for our group and we're now in the interim stage of slowly transitioning from Mongoose 1st Ed to 2nd Ed and it's a very painful experience. I've played Traveller since the early 1980's and I have very fond memories of the game. Having said that, it has become far too cumbersome over the years and keeps hold of far too many aspects that actually undermine the gameplay. Using BoL (even a BotV variant) would make things so much easier.

You know I thought about doing a Traveller port myself, but between "Barbarians of the Void" and "Barbarians of the Future" I realized I didn't really need to - almost everything I'd need was already done!

Have you looked at those?

4/13/2016 12:17 pm  #8

michaeltaylor wrote:

The GIT! wrote:

You know I thought about doing a Traveller port myself, but between "Barbarians of the Void" and "Barbarians of the Future" I realized I didn't really need to - almost everything I'd need was already done!

Have you looked at those?

I'm a big fan of BotV. I do have Barbarians of the Future as well but, honestly, I haven't read it in detail yet. I also think that Barbarians of the Aftermath is a terrific resource that can be used alongside BotV.

4/13/2016 12:56 pm  #9

I like BOV myself. I could run a 'traveller' style game without doing anything at all to it!

BOF is good and has some unique things I like about it. It's geared towards a W40k style though so it wont work for everything.

The biggest problem with BOA is that's it's not very portable! So I still haven't managed to finish reading it! 

4/13/2016 1:44 pm  #10

michaeltaylor wrote:

Agreed, all one really needs is an appropriate cover and an alternate character creation method that allows for character death during the process!

Board footera