The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/15/2014 2:38 pm  #1

Yes But, No But

So I had a quick playtest of my SciFi Dogs of W*A*R hack using the new BoL Mythic rules and decided to use some Yes But and No But mechanics. I had decided that on a tie the result would be a 'yes, but (something bad)' result and a miss by one would be a 'no, but (something beneficial)' result. 

I wasn't sure exactly what those results would be, however for a (space) combat it easily fell into place.

For a Yes But, the next action was a penalty roll for the acting player or a bonus roll for the opposing player, eg when the Sensors Operator rolled a tie getting a lock onto one of the fighters, he got so focused on getting the lock, that his next action would be at a disadvantage, a penalty roll.

You probably guess where the No But, is going - a bonus roll for the acting player on his next action or a penalty roll on the opposing player's next action, eg when the Weapons Operator fired his Point Defence Cannons at an incoming missile and missed by one, the cannons had clipped the missile, causing it to be unstable on its final run, a penalty roll. Likewise when the Weapons Operator missed by one on his Laser attack on a fighter, he was tracking the target for his next attack, a bonus roll. 

2/21/2014 11:18 am  #2

Re: Yes But, No But

I use a similar mechanic in my Ubiquity All For One campaign and will be adapting it when I run my Honor + Intrigue pirate setting. This is how it will work...

And/But...

When a PC (and only PC) rolls doubles the GM rolls 1d6.

If the 1d6 is EVEN, then something positive happens in addition to general roll result.
So, Success/And OR Failure/But.

If the 1d6 is ODD, then something negative happens in addition to general roll result.
So, Success/But OR Failure/And.

- Degrees of success or failure can be used to help judge the significance of the And/But add-on.

The additional result can be pretty much anything the group can come up with -- an environmental factor, a prop, a minor incident or condition for either party, and so on. The GM should always have final say. What's allowed is highly tuneable to group preferences, and can lead to a lot of creative fun if the players help come up with the and/but rather than the GM doing it all.

So perhaps you're chasing someone and have to jump a wooden fence. Let's look at the options:

- Success/And; not only do you clear the fence, but your opponent has stumbled and is prone or stunned for a turn.
- Success/But; you clear the fence, but drop your gun or slip and have to make a roll to maintain balance.
- Failure/But; the fence is too high for you to clear, but you notice some rotten planks you can bash through.
- Failure/And; not only do you not clear the fence, your leg punches through a plank and you get stuck, possibly injured.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

6/28/2014 11:18 pm  #3

The GIT! wrote:

I use a similar mechanic in my Ubiquity All For One campaign and will be adapting it when I run my Honor + Intrigue pirate setting. This is how it will work...

And/But...

When a PC (and only PC) rolls doubles the GM rolls 1d6.

If the 1d6 is EVEN, then something positive happens in addition to general roll result.
So, Success/And OR Failure/But.

If the 1d6 is ODD, then something negative happens in addition to general roll result.
So, Success/But OR Failure/And.

- Degrees of success or failure can be used to help judge the significance of the And/But add-on.

The additional result can be pretty much anything the group can come up with -- an environmental factor, a prop, a minor incident or condition for either party, and so on. The GM should always have final say. What's allowed is highly tuneable to group preferences, and can lead to a lot of creative fun if the players help come up with the and/but rather than the GM doing it all.

So perhaps you're chasing someone and have to jump a wooden fence. Let's look at the options:

- Success/And; not only do you clear the fence, but your opponent has stumbled and is prone or stunned for a turn.
- Success/But; you clear the fence, but drop your gun or slip and have to make a roll to maintain balance.
- Failure/But; the fence is too high for you to clear, but you notice some rotten planks you can bash through.
- Failure/And; not only do you not clear the fence, your leg punches through a plank and you get stuck, possibly injured.

I like this, I may try it out with 'Evens' meaning the player gets narrative control for the 'but' outcome that happens.

7/18/2014 9:30 am  #4

How about this.

Calamitous Failure = No, And!
total Roll < 8 = No
Total Roll of 8 = No, but
Total Roll of 9 = Yes, but
Total Roll > 9 = Yes
Mighty Success = Yes, And!
Legendary Success = Yes, And, AND!

6/25/2015 6:12 am  #5

I use something similar to what the GIT proposed. I just look at the double directly instead of rolling an extra D6

- Rolling even pairs is an advantage, no matter if the check succeeded or failed.
- Rolling odd pairs is a disadvantage, no matter if the check succeeded or failed.

I like the quick flow of it and saves me a roll.

Last edited by Chaosmeister (6/25/2015 6:14 am)

Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at!
http://www.chaotic-gm.com

6/25/2015 6:43 am  #6

Chaosmeister wrote:

I use something similar to what the GIT proposed. I just look at the double directly instead of rolling an extra D6

- Rolling even pairs is an advantage, no matter if the check succeeded or failed.
- Rolling odd pairs is a disadvantage, no matter if the check succeeded or failed.

I like the quick flow of it and saves me a roll.

I've considered just using odds or evens as well, but I prefer the higher odds of both And/But occurring which is why I'll roll a d6; it really doesn't slow the game down at all and it still keeps the players guessing.

Last edited by The GIT! (6/25/2015 7:36 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

6/25/2015 6:57 am  #7

I did not think about the higer odds of And/But occuring. Good way to tweak how often you want this to happen.

Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at!
http://www.chaotic-gm.com

Board footera