The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2015 6:07 am  #1

The Damage

Hi all,

I am looking for experiences with the new damage system. It looks nice and simple but I feel it is a bit bland. I like my weapons to have pros and cons and the current damage system does not seem to allow that. How is it in play?

Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at!
http://www.chaotic-gm.com

6/26/2015 1:46 am  #2

Re: The Damage

And something I have been thinking about as an alternative: Using different dice sizes for weapon categories. I appreciate the simplicity of using only the d6 for everything, but with the new damage rules I feel a bit of granularity is missing for games that are not strictly Heroic S&S. I like Sci Fi and modern games and am pondering the option of using d6 d8 and d10 as damage dice, with H and L as well. Pistols and one handed weapons d6, rifles, machineguns and two handed weapons d8 and Grenades, Mortars or Rocket Launchers d10. This will make the game more deadly, but since the highest possible Damage is 10 there is still a good chance a character will take a Rocket Launcher hit and Survive. Anyone has experimented like this already?

6/26/2015 9:38 am  #3

You might want to consider using the Arms and Armor descriptions for the Honor + Intrigue game (https://www.scribd.com/doc/81440771/Arms-and-Armor-Honor-Intrigue).

Also, I'm looking to combine the attck roll with Initiative and damage all in one roll. This idea is not popular with a number of people but I think it can work quite well. Essentially, heavy weapons will use the higher die roll of the attack for the damage roll (and the lower die will be used for the next round initiative); light weapons use the lower die roll for damage (and the higher die for next round initiative) and medium weapons allow the player to choose.

This method means that heavier weapons tend to deal more damage but are slightly more unweildy with regards to preparing for the next action, while lighter weapons are faster but do not have as much energy to transfer for damage.

This system does require the use of the old initiative system from the Legendary Edition (I personally prefer the old initiative rules).

It's not perfect but I like it and it does mean that weapon choice can have a bearing on combat results - combined with the Arms and Armor document I listed above and you can have quite a granular weapon system without changing too much of the game mechanics.

Last edited by The GIT! (6/26/2015 9:40 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

6/29/2015 5:04 am  #4

I use old initiative and borrow heavily from H+H, such a great BoL variant.

I can see damage and Initative in one roll, but adding in the attack roll as well seems hard to do. That would require at least 3 dice for every roll no? Do you have it conceptualized somewhere?

6/30/2015 1:23 pm  #5

Chaosmeister wrote:

I can see damage and Initative in one roll, but adding in the attack roll as well seems hard to do. That would require at least 3 dice for every roll no? Do you have it conceptualized somewhere?

Well, if you use the BoL Mythic damage system then you still only need two dice - both dice make the attack roll; either use the high or low die for the damage (depending on whether the weapon does H or L damage) and use the other die for Initiative next round. If the weapon doesn't have either H or L for damage the player can choose which to use.

Using H+I weapons can still use the same system (you just need to use BoL Mythic to help categorise the weapons as H, L or neither). Firearms are a different proposition and I would recommend using regular rules for them to help reflect their inherent inaccuracy and slow reload times.

It's a rough houserule at best but I believe, with a little playtesting, it can work. Some concerns levelled against it are that if you need a high roll to hit you are likely to automatically score a high level of damage on a successful strike; my response is that if it takes a good hit to do damage then the character should at least be rewarded by doing some meaningful damage on the few occasions he does hit. Also, by using the H and L categories, you can't guarantee high damage or high initiative because of the properties of the weapon.

The other option is to roll the attack and then roll two dice for damage and intiative as another roll - I'm not a great fan of this because I prefer the attack roll to have a direct influence on the damage and initiative.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

7/03/2015 2:28 am  #6

This sounds like a neat alternative. If you add a Boon dice to this equiation, does the player then have three dice to choose the damage from if it is not a H or L weapon? Or do you simply handle Boon with a different colored dice to sort it out? That you make big damage with a big to hit is not so bothersome but as you say kind of nice actually.

It is not a system I would use, as I say I miss a bit of granularity, but it sure sounds like a fast way to play.

7/03/2015 5:33 am  #7

With a Boon die, you roll the attack, take the two best dice for the attack - those dice are then used for the damage and initiative as well - the lowest die is ignored.

Board footera